i need phantom power!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

i need phantom power!

Post by cashed checks » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:34 pm

i need phantom power!

I'm making the step up from my trusty dynamics by adding some condensers but don't have any phantom power. What kind of device should i get to supply it and what is the average price range? Are there differences in qualities(steady voltage) or do they all work the same?

I'm also going to be looking into getting a pre-amp or two and also a RNC. Do they supply phantom power by their very nature eliminating the need for anything else?

As you can tell by my questions i'm not a gear nut but rather just a musician trying to make some decent recordings! I thought this board would be a great place for this question because TapeOp is made for people like me. thanks!

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Re: i need phantom power!

Post by psinglet » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:48 pm

I would assume most modern mic preamps supply phantom power. I don't believe the RNC does.

My only suggestion would be make sure it is a 48V phantom power box. There are some mics which will power with as little as 9V or less. I have a couple of battery operated ones (AKG, IIRC) that use two 9V batteries. True condensers won't operate on that little voltage.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:12 pm

i've got a four channel peavey box that works great. i think i paid like $50 for it on the 'bay.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:56 pm

if you are getting preamps then those will supply phantom power (nearly every preamp in existence does). the RNC and other audio processing gear universally will not have phantom power.

if you do not buy preamps or a mixer with phantom power, then you'll have to get an external phantom supply box like those mentioned. they go from $50 and up.

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:28 pm

thanks all for the quick response! additional kudos for not belittling the newbie.