your favorite reverb?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
evan
buyin' gear

your favorite reverb?

Post by evan » Sat May 24, 2003 2:04 pm

I'm getting rather sick of using my reverb plugin and am looking for a hardware replacement. Any suggestions? Sorry to say, I have to flash the "low-cost" card, I know many of you get annoyed by those of us who don't invest a great deal into these sorts of things...better put, the value-to-cost ratio needs to be pretty high. Thanks.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Re: your favorite reverb?

Post by justinf » Sat May 24, 2003 2:15 pm

the Demeter spring reverb is a great place to start--not cheap, but probably around 500 bucks. It sounds killer.

Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

Post by Allcalm » Sat May 24, 2003 2:52 pm

Build the "TapeOP" plate. $400 for a plate, can't beat the price to performance, only problem is a place to put it.
-Z

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Sat May 24, 2003 3:39 pm

im really happy with the electro harmonix holier grail pedal. it's not my only reverb and it doesnt get a million different sounds, but man the ones it does get are just killer. $180.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat May 24, 2003 7:15 pm

Look for a used Yamaha SPX90II. Should see them for $300 to $350. Several programs in that unit that are indispensable, like the Early Reflection, the Panner, the Symphonic and the Vocal Plate.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat May 24, 2003 7:26 pm

You said you wanted "hardware", but you didn't say you were ruling out digital. And I'm not sure what "low cost" means to you.

If digital is OK, I would take a look on eBay for a Roland SRV-2000. They usually go for $100-150. They still sound good and offer quite a bit of programability. The SRV-330 also gets good reviews, but I haven't used one.

For spring units, I have a Furman RV-2 (stereo version of the RV-1) that I like a lot. I got mine for $46.00, but I've seen them sell on eBay for more than $400.00! :shock:

Mark

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat May 24, 2003 10:00 pm

I like my Alesis Midiverb 4. The presets are pretty cheesy and useless, but messing with the programs can give some really nice reverbs. I got mine off ebay for about US$140.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sun May 25, 2003 1:32 am

rhythm ranch wrote:You said you wanted "hardware", but you didn't say you were ruling out digital. And I'm not sure what "low cost" means to you.
Digital or analog, it makes no difference to me as long it sounds good. Low-cost to me is less than $500.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I don't know if this helps at all, but I'm interested in more "natural"-sounding reverb (I don't know if anyone actually uses "unnatural" sounding reverb, so maybe this makes no sense), i.e. Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, Phil Elvrum's production (though I heard he uses real room reverb), and Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs (I really like the warmth of it).

Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Sun May 25, 2003 8:00 am

Hey there Sound Lovers

Some of the best reverbs are the cheap ones that no one wants.

I've got big Lexicons and plates but still defer to the venerable Roland SRV 2000 for guitars ( Try non-linear on big crunchy GTRS)

The SPX 900 is great!! Good plate and "white room" on drums is killer

Also refer to my post under "analog reverbs" for a DYS spring

Cheers
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Sun May 25, 2003 9:26 am

Im a fan of my Sansui RA-500, you can get them on ebay for under 50 bucks. On vocals, total pet sounds. Its not tooo versitile, but it sounds great, and still leaves you 450 bucks for other shit.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun May 25, 2003 9:43 am

That Digitech M-???? that I reviewed in the last Tape Op is $200 and has a lot of features plus will accept S/PDIF I/O so you can stay digital if you want. I think the sounds are very good for the price...
Larry Crane

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Sun May 25, 2003 12:14 pm

i like to use a guitar amp with the reverb cranked up into a room.put the mic closer or further away,depending on "big" you want the reveb to be.
i also have a couple of these kids toys called ZUBE TUBES.it's a tube with a spring in it,the spring held by a plastic cup at each end of the tube.i use it quite a lot by holding it up to a speaker and putting a mic at the other end.it sounds pretty cool.i use it on guitar amps somtimes,with a close mic and then the "tube" mic.and it sounds great on drums.they cost me $2 each.
on a slightly higher-fi note....lexicon pcm 60 is nice.
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun May 25, 2003 2:58 pm

If you can find a Sony MU-R201, it think its the best reverb for the money. Its excellent for vocals, piano and acoustic instruments.

Cary

stapes
takin' a dinner break

Post by stapes » Mon May 26, 2003 9:44 am

I heard a mention of the tape op plate reverb, and I'm curious. Has anybody actually built this thing from the kit available from Errico? I've tried to get in contact with them about ordering some parts, but they haven't returned any calls or emails. I've also heard the same thing from other people, as well as somebody getting ripped off. So, if anybody has some info on whether this company is still doing it, let me know. I want a plate SOOO bad, I just can't stand digital reverb. It helps having nice rooms to facilitate it, though.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio

Liv Pooleside
ass engineer

Post by Liv Pooleside » Mon May 26, 2003 11:31 am

rhythm ranch wrote: If digital is OK, I would take a look on eBay for a Roland SRV-2000. They usually go for $100-150. They still sound good and offer quite a bit of programability. The SRV-330 also gets good reviews, but I haven't used one.
I use an SRV-330 and I'll vouch for it's being a good low cost verb. It's very lush sounding, for want of a better word. It works well as a bed rather than as something obvious.

Of course, this depends on the patch, but what I'm saying is that the delay patches are almost too soft, whereas the big, space-creating patches work well for creating big spaces. Or something.

Fun to use to, with a big speed dial on the front and a highly readable display.

Liv
This will prove a brave kingdom to me
Where I shall have my music for nothing