Modnern wrock: what's "wrong?"

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Re: Modnern wrock: what's "wrong?"

Post by christiannokes » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Do you know who is a really fucking awesome band? -Incubus! They don't sound like anybody else (Hoobustank kinda copied them though). The musical talent is so high in that band; individually and collectively. I got into them before they were big. Back with 'Enjoy Incubus'. They were doing some really neat shit. Even when they started going a little mainstream, they still totally had their own sound. Am I blinded by my love for Incubus? How do you guys feel about them?

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:40 pm

ah YES.... incubus... once again, one of the shining stars of the budding nu-metal movement. especially S.C.I.E.N.C.E

i'm sorry to say, they are now in the same category as Linkin Park - mainstream shit.

and i dont equate success and platinum records with 'selling out'. i dont equat 'pretty' or 'soft' songs with 'selling out'. Filter has a nice broad range, from beuatiful to brutal and its all legitimate.

Korn is still innovators in the genre and havent curtailed to anything, and their one of the most successful modern bands out there. I'm not a Korn fanatic, but they've got some good shit and i respect them. (i cant stand 'Korn-Kids' that listen to nothing but korn...)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:22 pm

Either listen to WBNY more, or go to the Old Pink on Allen, get drunk and play Wedding Present songs on the Jukebox until you pass out.

Worked for me.
You're from Buffalo, too?

[/quote]

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:17 am

I'll say this....

I have noticed that a lot of modern rock suffers from all treble all the time to my ears. It's all washy distant cymbals (WAY too much of them) on just about every "1". Drummers are big on the "the harder you hit, the better you are" idea and as a result, groove is certainly sacrificed.

Kicks are nothing but treble....bass is is nothing but treble or even worse (see Korn). Guitars are walls of sound that seem SO gain laden that they are only either ON or OFF....there are no dynamics, no grooves and most of the time there is so much shitty distortion that I can't even make out the actual notes in the riffs they play.

Singers are at an all time low....I can't STAND that way too serious Eddie Vedder voice much less that Down With The Sickness guy. Lyrics are WAY too uhhhhhhh.....emotional.....aren't they?

It doesn't help that we live in the digital age and most music is edited and edited and edited again till it's dead....half the time you can listen to a verse going into a chorus and KNOW that the band didn't play it that way....it's odd. It's overcooked and I don't think I need mention the mastering jobs.

And as a final thought....I think songwriting has taken a terrible dump. You know the old saying that a GOOD song should be able to be broken down to just voice and chords? Well...I don't necessarily subscribe to that as a religion, but imagine almost ANY modern rock song done that way.

Just some thoughts....someone asked.

heylow

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:30 am

It's the "let's squash it all to hell with compression" syndrome. They don't let instruments 'breathe'. Just my opinion

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:32 am

cgarges wrote:I love it when the bass players in those bands play flat threes and flat sevens on major chords. That shit drives me bonkers. Of course, I realize it's not just those bands, but it's prevalent there, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
You rule Chris.

As for newer metal, my vote has got to go to The Fucking Champs. So good. So listenable. And all about the Tape Op aesthetic; no computers at all; it says in V, 'edits made with [type of] Razorblade'
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

penelec
steve albini likes it

Re: From Buffalo

Post by penelec » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:20 am

Used to be in grad school there; actually for a while I was trying to get the UB station WRUB above carrier current, but fighting legal issues all the way. So when I wasn't DJing and messing with their equipment, I was listening to CFNY and bugging Rich Wall, the program directer at WBNY at the time, to play more Tugboat Annie and Milf -- two great '90s Bflo bands.

By the way, I think Rich Wall might be involved in some capacity with the Edge now. The guy was a tool. He used to walk in to Home of the Hits and go behind the counter to put records on the house system, as if he worked there. Countless times I considered the ramifications of running him over in a parking lot. If he is behind the curtain at the Edge, then there's part of the problem. Massive egomania is the fodder that fuels the ClearChannel beast.

--Chandler

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:43 am

not enough sweet guitar solos

terrible singing, terrible drumming, and the guitars and drums SOUND terrible!!! guh!

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:57 am

They invented Poop Tools, that's what happened!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:31 am

Tugboat Annie and Milf -- two great '90s Bflo bands.
Yep, from what I remember - though I left in '89 and again in '92..

My personal faves are The Fems and Mark Freeland/Electroman. The Ramrods were also fun.
By the way, I think Rich Wall might be involved in some capacity with the Edge now. The guy was a tool. He used to walk in to Home of the Hits and go behind the counter to put records on the house system, as if he worked there. Countless times I considered the ramifications of running him over in a parking lot.
I'm an old fart and remember that guy from the late 80's, he's definitely caught up in his "big fish, empty pond" importance of his bringing all things cool to Buffalo. Plus his voice is annoying.

:prime-rate:
ass engineer

Post by :prime-rate: » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:43 pm

The answer is simple - the riff has become extinct. Newer bands play guitar rock but have shitty guitarists. Any guitar players out there? When was the last time you heard a song on the radio and thought "I wonder how they play that?" It doesn't happen. You can pick up a guitar and play along with every song on the radio without even having heard it before - it is ridiculous.

I'm only going to use this band to prove a point because i don't even like them, but think about the band CKY. When i first heard that i was like "ok, now this is a little bit interesting". the reason for this is only because i had the urge to pick up my electric guitar, tune it down and figure it out.

I hate the radio, but the sad part is that i get stuck doing the same stuff - I remember back to those days at 12 or 13 when i first heard led zeppelin and thought "i NEED to do that." I haven't heard things lately that inspire me in a long time, and it has become increasingly difficult to keep chugging away and trying to push the limits of your instrument and the boudnaries of songwriting when the people that are getting recognized and rewarded for these endeavors aren't even trying.
ryan.wallis.taylor

Noodles
pluggin' in mics

Post by Noodles » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:18 pm

:prime-rate: wrote:The answer is simple - the riff has become extinct. Newer bands play guitar rock but have shitty guitarists.

They're playing octaves all the time, as if that's the end all and be all. Back when I was a kid, we had power chords! There was a 5th in there!
prime-rate: wrote: I hate the radio, but the sad part is that i get stuck doing the same stuff - I remember back to those days at 12 or 13 when i first heard led zeppelin and thought "i NEED to do that." I haven't heard things lately that inspire me in a long time, and it has become increasingly difficult to keep chugging away and trying to push the limits of your instrument and the boudnaries of songwriting when the people that are getting recognized and rewarded for these endeavors aren't even trying.
Ignore the radio. With each passing year it becomes less of a factor. Broadband will ultimately put it in its proper place.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:37 pm

:prime-rate:

you're looking in the WRONG place for inspiration. radio sucks ass. its all about what the record label thinks is the catchiest tune, not what has talent and is inspiring. its rare that something today can be both.

my inspiration comes from Radiohead, Opeth, Meshuggah, Deftones, Filter.....

i cant really think of any others that are consistantly inspiring to me that are still making new music....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:17 pm

Here you go...the nu-metal formula...
start with...one drummer who beats the shit out of the cymbals...all the time

mix with...one bassist with a five-string and a pick

add...one guitarist, or even two, and make that guitarist play the progression of root-minor sixth, in a different key for each song

bake with...one singer (even better, a singer and a rapper!), somewhat cathartic lyrics, and some Tommy gear or a red hat on a backwards

play at 80 b.p.m., with PRS guitars, rectified amps, and lots of frat boys in the audience

collect royalty checks, count time until you have to pay up with that deal you struck with the devil

aeonrevolution
alignin' 24-trk

Post by aeonrevolution » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:59 pm

my inspiration comes from Radiohead, Opeth, Meshuggah, Deftones, Filter.....

Man isnt the guitar work in opeth just mind blowing? First time I bought blackwater park I came home and looked up tabs for patterns in the ivy. Just a beautiful song.

And on a side note I've got Nothing by meshuggah spinning in the cd player as I'm reading this :twisted:
". . .here comes the sky. . . " - dead meadow