MIDI breath controller?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
uqbar
steve albini likes it

MIDI breath controller?

Post by uqbar » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:24 am

I find myself using my melodica a lot, mainly because it allows me to combine my keyboard skills with the expressive control I had playing brass. I've looked at a few breath controllers (not the ones that emulate woodwinds since I don't know those fingerings anyhow), but they are all pretty pricey - and I'm not sure how well they work.

Anyone have experience in this area? Ideally I just want something that allows me to control a MIDI parameter while playing on a standard midi keyboard...

mark

bitdump
ass engineer

Re: MIDI breath controller?

Post by bitdump » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:55 am

Look for anything with a breath controller input. Old DX7, Kurzweil XM1, as long as it transmits the CC to the MIDI out your all set.

Of course you need to get the thing to blow into as well. Really not that many options, check out which used keyboards have the breath controller input.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Re: MIDI breath controller?

Post by uqbar » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:01 am

bitdump wrote:Look for anything with a breath controller input. Old DX7, Kurzweil XM1, as long as it transmits the CC to the MIDI out your all set.

Of course you need to get the thing to blow into as well. Really not that many options, check out which used keyboards have the breath controller input.
Have you played with one? I think I'd go MidiSolutions BreathController + Yamaha BC3A + Patchman sound banks for my old Oberheim. But given that this seems to be wildly unpopular, I wonder how well this stuff works...

mark