Studio Projects C1 mic review

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Studio Projects C1 mic review

Post by inverseroom » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:42 pm

This much-ballyhooed cheap-ass contender with the U87 actually does a pretty fine job. It is less flat than the U87, with a bright high end and clear bass response. Midrange is present, but that's not what the mic tends to accentuate. Makes backing vocals stand out in the mix, if you used a different mic for lead vocals. I am told women's voices sound good with it, though I haven't tried it. Acoustic guitar sounds sparkly.

CDSager
takin' a dinner break

Re: Studio Projects C1 mic review

Post by CDSager » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:21 pm

I used this mic on a harpsichord. It sounded like... a harpsichord.

Rock and Roll

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:30 am

Even though my first mic of choice for male vocalists does not start with the C1, this is my personal mic of choice most of the time. It is sparkly-sounding, in that the highs (and lows) are pronounced. This is good for my voice, though--soft, pretty decent range, resonant, female-like in the upper range.

I've also had good luck as a mono drum overhead, 3-4 ft off the top of a small kit.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:04 am

I've used mine on everything at one time or another. Let's see... male vocals (regular and hardcore screaming), acoustic guitar, electric guitar cabinet, bass drum, room mic for drums, bass cabinet, accordian, trumpet, hand claps, a wind storm coming off the ocean... and after tonight my new/old Farfisa Mini-Compact.

I love it. Keep in mind I'm still very much a novice at this whole recording dealie though.

-GABE

jack's perforated eardrum
audio school graduate

Post by jack's perforated eardrum » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:44 pm

I have two C1s and have been very pleased with how they sound for drums. I'm still getting started recording my own stuff so I don't have much to compare them to-- and I'm still "learning" my room-- but to my ear, the C1s sound very accurate and full. I got mine for $195/ea about a year ago.

And I can now say that they seem pretty durable since I clocked one right over the head with a drum stick, cleaving the mesh on the top. Is that wrong? :wink:
I am Jack's perforated eardrum

---
http://sublevel9.net

Johnkenn
audio school

Post by Johnkenn » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:46 pm

I really like the C1. It's a little honky in the 1-2k range, but overall, an incredible buy for the money.

bluespkr75
pluggin' in mics

Post by bluespkr75 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:06 pm

I have a C1 that I use quite often. I t really does sound amazing on female vocals. The thing to keep in mind is that even the U87 that it is usually compared to doesn't always sound the best for every application. To be honest, for what these C1's do I will probably never want a U87. I think most people are surprised that a microphone that costs $200 actually has the capabilities of the C1. I know I'm happy about it! :D

metalsapphire
audio school

Post by metalsapphire » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:08 pm

I'm a little late jumping in on this one...but I am SO very pleased with the pair of Studio Projects C1s I've been using. I used to hate them. But I've used them on a ton of stuff in the last 6 months, because it simply sounded the best on what I wanted. Ex. Female vox on a younger lighter voice, overhead mics for drums (hot cymbal sparkle), heavily distorted guitar close miked for a Grindcore project...you name it, I often prefer it to the sound of the U87 as well...
Does it sound good or not?

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 pm

I've been using a C1 for three years and I've been really happy with it. Still happy with it. Tremendous bang for the buck. Great on vocals and in front of most acoustic guitars. Having said that I don't think I'll be buying any more Chinese mics....after I got a Gefell UMT70S and compared it to the C1 I realized I had not wasted a ton of cash nor do I feel like I chased the elusive final 1% or 5%....But, if I needed a bunch more mics right now I'd buy SP brand with no regrets at all. Those guys deserve a lot of credit for putting a really good sounding mic in the hands of countless thousands of people for a damn good price.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe