Studio Project Mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
meblumen
steve albini likes it

Studio Project Mics

Post by meblumen » Sun May 25, 2003 3:02 pm

Anyone have any luck with any of Studio Project's mics?

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Re: Studio Project Mics

Post by assfortress » Sun May 25, 2003 3:36 pm

Ive got the c1, picked it up just because of the good things i hear about it here and on prosoundweb message boards. ive only had a chance to use it as an overhead and am loving it. I actually think i am learning what a "colored mic" sounds like. People said it is and I think im hearing it. Definitly worth having.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun May 25, 2003 5:12 pm

I have a C1 and have used it on guitar cab and vocals with great results, I like it a lot more than the Rode Nt1. Surpirzingly I also liked the Oktava MK219 on vocals too. I lent a friend of mine the C1 and he compared it to one of his MXL mics and he said the C1 had a lot more "air." I'd also look into the Audio-Technica 4033, you can find it used to about $200, i've heard nothing but good things about this mic and it's realy versatile.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sun May 25, 2003 11:46 pm

I have a pair of B1's. They have a bit of self-noise but they are so much more sensitive than 1st generation chinese LD's like the MXL 2001. Bright, more open on the top end, less gritty treble like the 2001. For $80 each buying them is a no-brainer.

Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Mon May 26, 2003 8:57 am

OK... These things are the SHIT on toms!!! Studio Projects C1s.. Yeah Baby!

Ever put an 87 on the toms? Ever had a drummer hit one? It really sucks.

C1s are big and open sounding and cost less than a 421... who cares? The screens are dented as shit but they still sound great.

Every engineer should have 2 or 3 just for drums.[/b]
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

tmix
audio school graduate

Post by tmix » Mon May 26, 2003 10:42 am

I have a T-3 Tube multipattern mic for vocals and a B-3 multipattern for Drums and Guitar cabs. I love them both.
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield, Texas.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Mon May 26, 2003 12:11 pm

The C1 is a great, great mic. I've used it for a # of applications. They all sound great. I haven't tried it on toms yet, like the post above did. I guess that's next.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Mon May 26, 2003 3:17 pm

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm currently looking into the B3 and trying to find a local dealer so I can hear it before I buy it. I was curious, tmix have you ever used yours on vocals and if so do you like it. Also, has anyone ever used the C3. I simply looking for something with more options (in terms of directional patterns) than what the B1 and C1 have to offer, although I have heard excellent things about both. THanks again for everyone's help

Hiland Park
audio school

Post by Hiland Park » Mon May 26, 2003 5:13 pm

I don't own any SP mics, but I've used a C1 and a B3 once each on two different sessions. I used each of them for vocals. The C1 was was "airier" than the other couple of mics I tried (Oktava MK219 and Shure KSM32), and just plain flattered this singer's voice better than the other two. He isn't the greatest singer out there, and he tends to kind of sound "pinched" and a bit strained, if that makes sense. The other mics sounded muffled with a lack of presence. The C1 had real nice presence and all sparkly an' shit.

I used the B3 on another singer who had brought it in and wasn't even interested in auditioning anything else. We set it to the cardiod pattern and if memory serves had the slight lowend rolloff switch engaged. He alternated between typical nu-metal singing and typical nu-metal screaming. There was even a part that he did hand-held, because he was used to crouching down at that point in the song. I thought all three scenarios were captured really well. Again, lots of air, good presence, pretty smooth highs, and tight lows.

Obviously I didn't do a side-by-side comparison of the two, but if I were to buy one of them (which I might if my fuckin' tax returns ever actually get returned!) I'd go for the B3. Maybe even a pair of them. On the other hand, I know Kerry from The Mighty Rime really digs the C1 for kick drum among other things...

Eric

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Tue May 27, 2003 12:22 am

have a C1. it's great for many instrumental applications. for vocals, as people have said, it's very 'airy.' that can be great, but on some voices i've found it a little 'cold.' (sorry about the weird vague terminology.) considering the low low price, i think it was definitely a good purchase.

tmix
audio school graduate

Post by tmix » Tue May 27, 2003 3:23 am

I have used the B-3 on vocals, but mainly background vocals.
It is a very neutral mic, which is good... just not on my voice. I need something that is a little hyped to make me sound better than I really do.
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield, Texas.