Noise Reduction for Otari MX5050 8 track

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Re: Noise Reduction for Otari MX5050 8 track

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:12 am

I have been using 4 dbx 180A's, which are the balanced version of the 150. Due to the design of the circuit, I have the advantage of sending balanced signals to the DBX units, and receiving balanced signals back, while sending UNbalanced signals to and from the recorder. That, copuled with wiring up my patchbay with the pin 3 (or is it pin 2? i forget) on the connections going to the deck, solved all of my bal/unbal and pin difference problems. They work excellently. As for DBX units, you definitely want Type I noise reduction as opposed to Type II. Remember, though, if you have worn heads with a nasty bass bump, DBX is going to accentuate that bass bump.

I once saw an 1 rack space 8 channel Rocktron noise reduction unit at a used music equipment place, that might be worth looking into.

cv

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:31 am

I have a 5050 and don't use any NR - I have had no problems with noise whatsoever, that said I record mostly my own rock band, and every so often friend's bands. I tend to hit the tape pretty hard, I suppose at lower recording levels or very dynamic material there might be some noice buildup.

Is your machine in good shape?

ggddcc
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ggddcc » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:36 pm

Hey- We have a Rocktron Studio Series 180A System One Encode/Decode Noise Reduction Unit on our 5050. It's 8 channels with RCA ins and outs, using custom wires/connectors to the XLR's on the 5050. It really does the trick for noise reduction. I've done plenty of acoustic guitar/vocal sessions with no noise problems. We used this for years to edit a-capella, before Pro Tools.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:05 pm

I don't know, here's exactly the trick on ebay right now. Nice price, at least so far, as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=23790