Phase Concerns For Drum Micing

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Phase Concerns For Drum Micing

Post by Auxillary » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:37 am

cman548 wrote:youi are lucky, but so is she. You CAN set up mics and move them around until they sound good. But i think she's lucky the kick drum didn't phase out of existence.

Innocent is cool because it can get you back to the basics, and see things in a new, unadulterated way. But it won't ever help you solve problems and overcome gremlins.
She fooled with the mics for about an hour. I will ask her what the results of the moving was. She did say moving the mics made a huge difference.

It really did amaze me. Ive been telling her all day today and yesterday how awesome she did. I love her terminology though, it's so cute sometimes :) Like a child.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:09 am

Derrick wrote:Thanks so much everyone!! It is mentioned to "keep checking relative phase all the time". How do you do this? Is this where you do some "soloing" button for each mic or something to check for problems? I don't have any isolation or solo buttons on my current board as it is a very simple one.
The solo button won't help you...well sort of. You need to check mics against each other, so soloing 2,3,4 at a time. I often find the best way is to go from stereo to mono, if we're talking about overheads and such. Then you can hear what frequencies start disappearing when in mono, or if your kick gets sucked out when put in mono with the overheads. You can do this without interrupting tracking if your console is flexible enough.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:33 pm

Thanks Cman! So if I have this right, I don't need a fancy board to check this... just have to compare mono mix to the stereo mix to see if anything has been lost.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:46 pm

Derrick wrote:Thanks Cman! So if I have this right, I don't need a fancy board to check this... just have to compare mono mix to the stereo mix to see if anything has been lost.
Yeah, sort of. Switch to mono and bring in your drum sounds one at a time. Start with the snare mic (say), listen a bit, and then bring in an oh. Did the snare sound change? How so? Move the mics and try again. Keep doing this until you get a sound with two mics that is good. Then try the snare mic and the other oh (or whatever). Keep checking mics until you've done the whole set. Now check them three at a time. Now four. Finally, check the whole set. No need to switch back and forth from stereo to mono - you are just listening in mono to eliminate any confusion in your ear as to whether there is a phase problem or not. Finally, at the very end, switch to stereo just to make sure you've still got good separation, etc.

Hope that helps!

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:50 pm

Perfect! Thanks, Trashy.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.