C1 on vocals

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

C1 on vocals

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue May 27, 2003 10:38 am

every time I have a vocalist in to do tracks I set up a few different mics to see what works best on their voice. It always seems to be the C1. Other mics I'm trying include a Royer-Mod 2001 MXL mic, and a new Oktava Ribbon. They really come pretty close to that "german mic" sound to my ears, and they sit really nicely in the mix without EQ.

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Re: C1 on vocals

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Tue May 27, 2003 1:25 pm

on the other hand, i really don't like the C1 on vocals. i bought it in hopes of having a
decent vocal mic, or at least something really nice & expensive looking to look at while
doing vocals (it does that well) but i actually have had better luck with it on kick drum
and bass guitar. also nice as a room mic (in a nice room, of course.)
it's probably just my vocals though.
hopefully i like my AT 3060 better. we'll know in a week or so.

eric

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

C1 on other stuff

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue May 27, 2003 2:15 pm

Man, I agree that the mic sounds great on a kick. I built a little cave for it in front of the kick to keep the rest of the kit out and mixed it with a D112 to get the beater attack. Just the right sound.
Don't like it on vocals huh?
Maybe it's just a taste thing. Maybe the fact that they are made fast & cheap means I got a different sounding mic than you.

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Tue May 27, 2003 11:07 pm

I have a C1 and use it on vocals with some singers...it can get a bit sibilant.
My 414buls and soundelux u195 get lots of use also....but it is cool that the C1 can hold it's own with mics that are 4x the cost
I like the C1 on acoustic gtr and bass cabs too

Adam

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:51 am

I'm surprised you think the C1 beat out the MXL with the Royer mod. That mic always beat out most of the stuff I tried under $1,000. I sounds a lot more fidelic with a 1073 than the C1. The c1 sounds instantly harsh most of the time and requires a lot of corrective eq for me to get it to sit properly.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:23 am

been a while since this topic was started, but now that you bring it back I have new info. I just tracked a female singer with the C1 and she was VERY sibilant on the mic. I think I need to keep her on the ribbon. I've been VERY happy with it on my own vocals though, never need an ounce of EQ. THe Royer mod-ed 2001 is a fantastic mic, but usually a little too bright on top and doesn't have those rich mids for my vocals of anyone else that I've put in front of except my room mate who has a deep, rich voice. So if I ever get Nick Cave in my studio I'll know what to reach for hahahahaha!

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:32 am

I like my C1 as long as I don't get too close to it. Then it will distort, with my voice.
A friend of mine has one, and it works great with him, but he's such a good singer that anything you mike him with would tend to sound good.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:52 am

have you tried using the pad when you're up close?

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:40 am

Yep, had the pad on too. It could have been cuz I was in the VC1Qcs, with it's comp, and if I had changed to the TrakMaster, gotten better results. I just went ahead and got a Blueberry, which is designed to be gotten up on. The C1 is great, otherwise,,,no complaints. I don't always get that close, but do alot.

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:35 pm

I'll ad another vote for the mic on Vox...I love it on most people. Another cheap mic I like on a lot of vox is that marshall mxl V69 mogami tube mic.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:17 pm

Well overall it seems most of you like our C1, so thanks... The C1 is not for everyone, nor is it for every application. I can tell you that the mic may be innexpensive, but it is not cheap. We do use many of the same components some of our German brothers do, our PC boards are quite good as is the rest of the build quality.

Yes, the C1 does have that gentle rise to it in the top end, but that is by design. Singing a bit off axis helps if you need it, or a 2 to 3 dB cut at about 8 to 10Khz can also help. You can also throw on that foam filter and that tones it down a bit.

No excuses here guys, it is what it is...we know it is not for everyone, but we do try to make the best possible stuff for you we can at a good price. Oh yeah, I am not selling here, so no Spam intended, just telling you the facts on the mics.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have... :D
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247
toll free: 877-563-6335 fax: 310-323-9050
url: www.pmiaudio.com e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:20 pm

alanhyatt wrote:Yes, the C1 does have that gentle rise to it in the top end, but that is by design. Singing a bit off axis helps if you need it, or a 2 to 3 dB cut at about 8 to 10Khz can also help.
The top end sibilance ain't good for vocal apps, but it does sound great on the underside of a snare drum. It does an awesome job on Black Beauty's and piccolo snares.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:34 pm

Deja V.U. wrote:
alanhyatt wrote:Yes, the C1 does have that gentle rise to it in the top end, but that is by design. Singing a bit off axis helps if you need it, or a 2 to 3 dB cut at about 8 to 10Khz can also help.
The top end sibilance ain't good for vocal apps, but it does sound great on the underside of a snare drum. It does an awesome job on Black Beauty's and piccolo snares.
Funny how so many people have such differing opinions. The C1 is quite good on vocals. In fact, the C1 currently has the #3 hit in all of Europe on Peggy Blues new single http://www.peggiblu.com/fs.html She uses a C1... I guess that means you can use a C1 for vocal apps.
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247

62junior
gettin' sounds

Post by 62junior » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:49 pm

I use it all the time on vocals and it sounds great on acoustic guitar. It is bright but I don't find it overly sibilant, but different voices call for different mics. Sade's choice vocal mic, SM57, carries one with her, or at least used to.
You can't beat the C1 for the price though.

K.S.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:03 pm

Again, I do not wish to be confrontational to anyone, so please do not take my remarks to be that way, especially as microphones are not all things to all people. Some do well for some, and not others, but we have done very well in vocal applications with the C1 to date.

Again, it is not for everyone, and sometimes you do have tone it down by cutting 2 to 3dB at 8 to 10KhZ, but better to cut than have to add...
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Gardena, CA 90247