newbie phantom power question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
elfkicker
studio intern

newbie phantom power question

Post by elfkicker » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:43 am

Hi...

I hope this hasn't been asked to death (I checked the 'Best Of' section).

I record with a Yamaha AW4416 and just ordered myself a Rode NTK mic, mainly for vocals. Up until now, I've used an Audio Technica AT4033 with phantom power from my mic pre (Joemeek VC1Qcs).

Could somebody tell me... Does an LDC tube mic like this, which comes with it's own power supply, still need to have phantom power supplied to it? Or is that the NTK power supply's job? I really don't want to kill the mic as soon as I get it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: newbie phantom power question

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:16 am

GBV fan?

Phantom power is not needed with the NTK, the power box supplies it for sure..I dont think having the phantom on your board will matter because i think the ntk is balanced and each pin would cancel out but I would not try it unless i knew for sure..could blow it up?

Remember Don't have the power connected before the 7pin multi cable to mic has been connected first and make sure the voltage on the power box is set correcly too!! in the states it would be 115v..

elfkicker
studio intern

Post by elfkicker » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:24 am

GBV fan?
...Big time!

Thanks for the reply, Sky! I felt a little silly asking that, but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the tip on powering-up too. I'm in the UK, so I guess the voltage will be set to 240v.

Cheers.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:34 am

your welcome..

what do you think of Bob's fake english accent?

im in NY BTW..

I've been on this board for a bit..and I like it theres a lot of great info here and not too much BS..questions get answered quickly as well..

neversleep
audio school graduate

Post by neversleep » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:33 am

It's funny, but I don't really hear the fake accent that everybody mentions... Bob sounds pretty American to my Scottish ears.

Anyway - Yeah, this seems like a pretty cool place. I usually find the answer to my question without having to ask. Long live Tape Op!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:03 am

I guess its not that dramatic to my ears either..but it is there..personally I don't mind, I like the sound of english accents real or fake..Actually he has this thing going that is a mix of english and nasal and midwest and eastcoast..It's quite strange and I like very much to hear his voice..

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:18 am

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:your welcome..

what do you think of Bob's fake english accent?

im in NY BTW..

I've been on this board for a bit..and I like it theres a lot of great info here and not too much BS..questions get answered quickly as well..
I hear it on loads of GbV stuff - listen to Jar of Cardinals for one thing. Absolutely hilarious - in a totally good way. Like some kinda Syd Bowie thing. Awesome. Love'emlove'emlove'em. Kicker of elves. Heh heh.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)