Electronics - DIY

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Electronics - DIY

Post by newguy12 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:25 pm

Got another question for you guys, thanks for all the help I've recieved thus far, I don't know what I'd do without a place like this.

For sometime I've been wanting to get into the whole DIY thing to build a few simple things, nothing to complex just some basic pads, phase reversal boxes, maybe a guitar stompbox or something and maybe one day move up to building more complex things like mic pres and what not. Hence, I've been reading about electronics and I ordered a couple of books and have a handle on some of the concepts and can read schematics, having occassionally to refer back to a symbol chart I printed out. However, my main problem lies in the fact that I can take a look at a schematic, understand I need a capicator of a specific value but then when I goto a site like digikey or mouser to order the part all of a sudden I'm comfronted with a million different options for components of that value, made out of different materials and whatnot and I'm just at a loss for which one is right for my needs. I've stumbled upon a few things describing the difference between different materials used in each component but the information was very vague and as a result I still can't figure out which type is best for the work/application currently at hand.

Recman
audio school graduate

Re: Electronics - DIY

Post by Recman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:45 pm

Hi:
Well, for capacitors you will have to choose:
Breakdown voltage - give yourself enough headroom for voltage spikes

Breakdown temperature - keep all components below their rated value

Lead style - axial or radial (both leads out one end or one out each end)

Manufacturing materials - mylar, tantilum etc. Some materials have less leakage than others or better hi frequency phase response. Mylar is most common

Value

Polarized or non polarized / + - AC signals = non polar as in speaker crossovers / filter capacitors have a + and - lead and are polarized. Some AC signals have a DC offset and can use polarized capacitors.

Size - enough room on the circuit board.
Recman
Studio 84

If it's too loud - you're too old

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:30 pm

My favorite guide to caps is Harry Bissell's "Capacitor Field Guide": http://www.hoohahrecords.com/resfreq/ar ... citor.html

In a nutshell... resistors, get 5% 1/4 watt and you'll be fine for everything except tube amps and power supplies. Capacitors, for audio signals, get poly caps, for other stuff (larger values) get electrolytics, 25V or 50V should be big enough to handle anything you run off a +/-12V or +/-24V supply (respectively.) For tiny values, get ceramic caps (pF range.)

ICs, transistors, etc. you will want to look at package info. For ICs, get DIP (double inline pin)- these are the "bug"-looking chips, which you can stick through holes in a perfboard and solder. For transistors, the TO-92 package is the standard three-legged semicircle for signal transistors, so look for that.

That should get you 95% of the way there... and remember... when you can't find something, google will get you 4.999% of the rest of the way there :)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:56 am

toothpastefordinner wrote:My favorite guide to caps is Harry Bissell's "Capacitor Field Guide": http://www.hoohahrecords.com/resfreq/ar ... citor.html
that is a kick ass link...gracias.

Mike

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:43 am

Hi

Do you have a patch bay? Instead of a phase reveral box, which will cost you around 10 dollars to make. You can cut a patch cable and reverse the
+ and - for a couple of bucks.

If you do want to make the box. Buy one of those light switch boxes from the home depot. They are pre puched for conduit and it will hold a flat mount XLR nicely. Insert a male and female XLR wire in reverse. Get a cover for the box and you are set.
Kyle