Stupid levels question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mr PC
buyin' gear

Stupid levels question

Post by Mr PC » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:59 pm

I am a bit embarrassed to ask this, as I've been doing this recording crap long enough to know, but--

What is the purpose for line inputs having -10 and +4 settings?

My story-- I am recording drums through a Sytek MPX -4A preamp, and then into a Digi 002r using the line inputs (5 through 8 ) These inputs have a switch for -10 or +4.

When using the +4 option, my levels in Pro Tools are pretty damn hot with the Sytek gain knobs at 2.5 or so. Isn't a +4 input "less" sensitive to signal, meaning that it is design to get hotter signals?

This is no big deal, since the stuff sounds fine. Maybe the Sytek just pumps out the jams. Maybe I should just sand away the markings on the Sytek and write "11" where the "3" currently is.....

PC :oops:

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Re: Stupid levels question

Post by Brian Brock » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:44 pm

I'll attempt an answer at this, just for fun - "consumer" grade audio equipment runs -10, and "pro" at +4. I think that the Sytek pres would be designed to put signal out at +4.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:05 pm

http://www.tonmeister.ca/main/textbook/ ... cs/03.html

note the section towards the bottom
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:18 pm

Thanks a lot- I'm a +4 kind of guy, then. Makes me feel more professional just thinking about it--

PC