where you keep your microphones when not in use

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: where you keep your microphones when not in use

Post by wing » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:30 pm

the garden out back

i keep hoping little baby microphones will start to grow

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:53 pm

I use a couple of Pelican's for when they are going mobile, but when not in use, I got an old Air-tight military ammo box for like 15 bucks. It holds 6 U-87 sized condensers, two 57's, and on D-112....all encased in foam...best deal man.
Randy (aretoo)

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:56 pm

Various things, ammo boxes, suitcases, then all locked in a steel cabinet thing.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:58 pm

For some of my dynamics I took a Porter Cable power tool box (probably some fancy drill was in it or something--who knows?), glued some acoustic foam on the inside top and bottom, then cut the peaks off the foam to more or less fit my mics. Very cush, very secure, very cheap, and kind of cool looking.
The ammo box idea sounds quite cool too. I may have to try that.

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:17 pm

my 4033's are on stands , covered. my turner is on a stand covered with a sock. My 58 & 57 are in my gig briefcase along with a di and cords.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:07 pm

We use a really cool wooden chest we got at an unfinished furniture store called Mill Stores up here in MA.

It's about 2' wide and about 4' tall, with several drawers just the perfect size for anything from the tiniest thing up to a typical 87-size mic.

Then the bottom two drawers are twice as deep and hold the shock mounts and ribbon mics in their cases.

Roger

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Post by moogrocker » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:45 pm

I keep mine in a Ikea cabinet with glass doors, sorted out in these cool wicker baskets that are lined with bags of those slicon balls that are supposed to help with moisture.

John

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:56 pm

I've got about ten of those $20 Lowes briefcases. (I'm due for a couple more, too.) They work great for me. They're sturdy and reliable and stack well. I imagine if I ever took a trip down a river with my mics, I'd have to get some Pelican stuff, but for driving from studio to studio around here, they're great. If I were a little less moblie, I'd probably look for an old set of Library index card drawers. I've seen a couple studios store mics in those and I think it's a great idea.

Larry brought something interesting to my attention in the last issue: It's probably a good idea to store ribbon mics vertically, so that gravity isn't constantly pulling on the ribbon element.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kylethompson
pushin' record

Post by kylethompson » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:23 am

Wow, I am I the only chump that keeps every regularly used mic on a stand with a cable attached all the time?!

Is this bad for the mics? No smoke of any kind in my room. Somebody alert me to the error of my ways, please!

It seems to make sense that having every mic ready at a moments notice is a good thing, no?
"I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand."

flatcat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by flatcat » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:11 am

I keep mine in their original boxes, inside the plastic or case or whatnot they came in. If they came with a pouch, I put them in the pouch. All the boxes are stacked up in the bottom of my computer stand. When I need one, I just unpack it. I'm kind-of weird that way - I have all the boxes for all my gear.

If I'm doing something over days, I leave them on the stands wrapped in plastic bags from the grocery store for convenience's sake.
"Please make everything louder than everything else."

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:17 am

I carry mine in my pockets at all times.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:38 am

I bring some of my microphones to church some times so i found this little suitcase thing and put foam matress material in it and cut out the shapes of the mics. Works fine, though i can only get like 3 mics in there. If i am not moving them i just leave them on the mic stand, cable attached and all.

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:02 pm

kylethompson wrote:Wow, I am I the only chump that keeps every regularly used mic on a stand with a cable attached all the time?!

Is this bad for the mics? No smoke of any kind in my room. Somebody alert me to the error of my ways, please!

It seems to make sense that having every mic ready at a moments notice is a good thing, no?
Ha..if you didn't post something by the time I was done reading this thread then I was going to.

I like it that way as well..the mic's arent any good when they're in a cabinet, right?

But then again...I'm an uninformed jackass.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:13 pm

I believe in taking good care of good equipment.

That is why I leave my Chinee LD's on the mic. stand where I can knock them over regularly and make sure they get a good coating of nicotine, candle smoke and incense to go with the sputum on their diaphragms. (Please note my restraint in not making a joke about the coating on my Chinese girlfirend's large diaphragm....)

My SM58 and the like are either on stands, in the original pouches, or somewhere in the kid's bedrooms where they variously use them to sing into (thus adding, no doubt, more sputum) or whack each other over the head with. This, too, is OK because some of my dynamics have apparent stage dents which actually match the dents in the kids' skulls.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.