Let's talk "IN YOUR FACE" vocals

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Dyno
alignin' 24-trk

Let's talk "IN YOUR FACE" vocals

Post by Dyno » Wed May 28, 2003 8:24 pm

I do alot of Alternative Country and I like super in your face vocals. I mainly run a Lawson L47MP 4 to 8" > Telefunken V76 > UA 1176ln re issue, 12:1 slowest attack, fastest release, pulling down up to 8db.

I really like to let all that slurpy, lispy, gaspy, gutteral grunting come thru. Steve Earle or Buddy and Julie Miller got that sound nailed. I tried the 4 button trick on vocals but It does not sound right, I use that for electric guitar or on a drum room mic.

I'd like to try the Cranesong HEDD on top of what I'm doing already. That may just put me over the edge. What are your in your face tricks?

Dyno

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Let's talk "IN YOUR FACE" vocals

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 29, 2003 8:20 pm

There is really no end to the amount of limiting and compressing. I find by the time the final mix is sounding good, I've already chained, inserted and/or recorded the vocals through 3 units and tape or a tape emulator. Then I'll wind up with a stereo compressor on the mix. Depends on what you're going for, but when these subtleties accrue for maximum effect it's nice.

Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Sat May 31, 2003 8:57 am

Hey there

A lot of what I do, I do on a mult of the vocal and just slide it in with the original. Generally I prefer crappy comps cause they do everything a great comp isn't supposed to Ie clamp... pump...distort. Try returning a vox to a mic pre and cranking it just below the distortion threshhold the putting something brash like a DBX 160 VU on it and squash the piss out of it. EQ the shit out of it and slide it up under the regular vocal.

Have fun
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:10 am

in your face vocals?

distressor.

nothing else Ive used comes anywhere close to that.

dave

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:59 pm

soundeluxe u95 with a 1073 and a distressor hitting tape pretty hard(or not, whatever...) is one way, with a 2254 chained to a 160 vu to catch the faster stuff on the backside.

u87 with a 33609 and a 160a to tape/ same chain as above during mix. maybe with the 2254's across the vocal group...

those are two things I have done that people have remarked about the end result.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:14 am

LA-3A... It dominates with brute force... What more can I ask for? I look forward to hopefully soon seeing what happpens with an 1176 behind it!