Automatic Double-Tracking

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Automatic Double-Tracking

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu May 29, 2003 9:07 am

Could someone explain in great detail how you do this?

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Automatic Double-Tracking

Post by sonariste » Thu May 29, 2003 10:11 am

The original ADT rigs that were at AIR and very few other studios were quite complicated tape machines about the size of a portable dishwasher.
There is nothing that sounds exactly like them. In fact, no two really sound the same. they had several heads that were in varying phase relationships, and the tape speed was modulated randomly. I dont know if there was more than one tape loop or not.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong about any of these points. I know this stuff only second hand from lucky engineers who had the chance to work with them.

I do know that this would be a fantastic Plug to develop. I don't know anyone that wouldn't love to have something that sounded like the "real" ADT. Even if it wasn't a perfect model.

I have contacted bombfactory in the past and waves, no response. Maybe if we all asked thhey would go into development.

I am sure a resonable plug could imitate the ADT. Especially if they could take measurments from one of the remaining units. "less than 6 last I heard".

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu May 29, 2003 12:06 pm

My understanding is that the first ADT was really just a souped up slap back tape delay running at a high speed (30ips or higher?). What seperateded it from mere tape delay was that the tape speed was modulated a bit to create a double track that was slightly different from the origanal.
It would be great to try to rig one up if you have an extra reel to reel and aren't afraid to get under the hood.

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Thu May 29, 2003 12:14 pm

Look up the article on geoff emerick in mix magazine online, he mentions some stuff about adt.