i love noise

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Re: i love noise

Post by discs of tron » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:53 pm

no it exists. the new york times sunday mag did a story on this dude a couple months ago. same guy apparently invented either the sonogram or something like that in heavy medical use. total multi-millionaire. apparently, they're already equipping coke machines in japan with these speaker things, so you walk by the machine, and you hear some ice cubes in a glass, and some hot lady going "wouldn't you like a coke?" also, the military is into it. since there are frequencies like brown sound, and others that can totally immobilize you with head splitting pain, they're into using it as non-lethal weaponry. i guess they're not really going after the hi-fi/ pro audio world yet, but it's pretty interesting technology. i'm sure some of the geekier types around here have heard about it. you could try a search on the times' site maybe. really interesting stuff. and i just want to use it to make strangers spontaneously poo.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:12 pm

my happy place sounds something like this:

phhhhphhhhphhhffffffftffffftffffphphphphphphphphffffffsssssssphphphhphp
boobs are life's fountain

phat-ass
ass engineer

Post by phat-ass » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:59 pm

SLAG wrote:Blue,

Check out Ad Noiseam

Some interesting/cool stuff.

There is some underground type noise music site that features some serious noise freaks (like 10 min of tweaking white noise)...but I can't find it. They even do shows if you can believe it.

When I listened to it, I was like this is either really really interesting and trippy and out there, or I'm just an idiot and they are pulling my leg with this crap. I think it is the latter.
You might be thinking of Cock ESP

Good stuff. They are serious and they are pulling your leg.

phat

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:26 pm

I love running strange noises thru guitar pedals and tweaking them to see what happens. Tried micing the noise off a tv and running that thru pedals. Once went to Ocean Beach in SF to record the ocean in a cave but I freakin dropped my little digital recorded in the water. Yeah, be careful if you ever want to record the ocean.

Vartan K.
pushin' record

Post by Vartan K. » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:22 am

Cock esp totaly SUCK.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:46 am

this thread has gone off in a totally different direction than what i was talking about... oh well :roll:

SLAG
gettin' sounds

Post by SLAG » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:43 am

phat-ass wrote:[
You might be thinking of Cock ESP

Good stuff. They are serious and they are pulling your leg.

phat
No, definitely not these guys. These were individual "artists" who had like 10 pedals on a table then generate a noise run it through the pedals for minutes on end. A lot of times the shows were done at people's houses.

Sorry blue I hijacked your thread. Someone mentioned White House and ....

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:06 am

jesus,white house......that's some crazy shit right there.....

anyway,when i was kid i used to love the sound of the vacum cleaner.when we had holidays from school i used to switch it on and go to sleep next it.i loved that staticy,white hum/noise.i think it used to freak me mam out a bit when she would come home and find me curled up with the hoover!!
i still do it from time to time.something about the sound that i find really comforting.......

my wife and i have a song which is a vacum cleaner and guitar duet.it actually sounds fucking cool,the vacum cleaner's like a strange fucked up guitar drone thing.....

cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:29 am

one of my friends in junior high achieved his first orgasm with the aid of a hoover. no kidding. and you think you loved your vacuum clearner.

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:43 am

discs of tron wrote:sort of o.t., but
have you guys heard about that guy who invented that entirely new speaker technology where they have this highly directional bunch of sub-sonic waves which can be aimed at a person, and the waves don't become audible until they basically get to that person's head? and then it's supposed to soundlike it's inside your head. they can be hearing it at "11", and someone a couple feet away doesn't hear anything. i forget what it's called and my understanding of the technology doesn't even approach tenuous. but anyhow, i'm thinking, one of those and some brown tone, and think of the fun you could have.

Hyper Sonic Sound from ATC

http://www.atcsd.com/tl_hss.html

Anyway as far as noise goes. The best is the ultra low bass from passing trains about a mile away. Also, the "Deep Space" Sound effect in Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I know that sound is simple but I can't seem to recreate it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:22 am

I love tube amp hiss, and the sound of speakers frying.

But then, many guitarists do.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.