Music Website Hosting Options

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Architect
audio school graduate

Music Website Hosting Options

Post by Architect » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:20 pm

I want to put my own website up for people to download and listen to my music, I'm just about finished with it. I've designed the site, paid for the domain name, and now I need hosting. I thought about hosting it at home on a Windows 2000 webserver I configured, but then I realized, once people start downloading and or streaming my music files that is going to eat up my DSL bandwidth at home bigtime. Any suggestions? Are there any webhosting companies that offer great plans for streaming and or downloading music files (mp3). I know about all the sites that allow you to upload your music for free for people to listen to, but I want my own site as well. Any tips let me know thanks.

PDXJamie
pluggin' in mics

Re: Music Website Hosting Options

Post by PDXJamie » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:22 pm

I use a company called pair networks. Cheap enough, great tech support too. I have all 10 of my clients sites hosted there. Don't believe the hype on the hosting places that offer you unlimited bandwith.. your getting screwed somehow. Pair is great i can't say enough about them.

www.pair.com

Jamie

hiwatt33
gettin' sounds

Post by hiwatt33 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:10 pm

Architect wrote:I want to put my own website up for people to download and listen to my music, I'm just about finished with it. I've designed the site, paid for the domain name, and now I need hosting. I thought about hosting it at home on a Windows 2000 webserver I configured, but then I realized, once people start downloading and or streaming my music files that is going to eat up my DSL bandwidth at home bigtime. Any suggestions? Are there any webhosting companies that offer great plans for streaming and or downloading music files (mp3). I know about all the sites that allow you to upload your music for free for people to listen to, but I want my own site as well. Any tips let me know thanks.
Try 1and1.com It sounds unreal, but I signed up and it is everything they claim. Can't beat free.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:16 am

How long have you been with them, hiwatt? I'm signing up right now.

All fellow procrastinators, take note that the offer of free hosting ends January 14th, 2004.

Architect
audio school graduate

Post by Architect » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:12 am

Good Stuff fellas I'm going to inquire about each company especially the free hosting!! Just what I needed.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:12 am

http://www.bugroom.com is run by musicians.
they're cheap and in 3 years, I've never noticed my site being down.

chris
http://www.subatomicpieces.com