sonic maximizers

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: sonic maximizers

Post by Rodgre » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:53 pm

spitface wrote:Maxi's compress, eq, add reverb, etc. to a mix. They aren't inherently bad (like communism and Bill Clinton); they are cheaply made and/or programmed and provide a one-size fits all for your mix. If your stuff isn't going to mastering, go ahead and try one. If you will be going to mastering, don't bother with them...they will only make the engineer's job worse because he/she will have to undo the damage.

Basically, they perform a quick mastering job and don't do anything weird that a mastering engineer wouldn't try.

I often use a TC Finalizer plug-in on rough mixes for the kids to listen to at home.

Spitface.
Sounds like we're confusing three different things.

"Sonic Maximizers" like the BBE circuits do "creative" things to the phase of different frequency ranges to make a sound "seem" clearer, more detailed, and sparkly. I agree... it makes a whole mix sound a bit messy and thin, in the long run.

"Enhancers" like the Aphex units are designed to add a slight amount of harmonic distortion to a signal to "enhance" the high end without EQing.

Maximizers such as your typical plug in, the Finalizer, and the L1/L2 stuff, are variations on the limiter. They bring up the overall level of a signal, usually by "look ahead" limiting.

Similarly, Normalizing, which is related to the aforementioned Maximizers, is just the act of taking a signal and increasing it's volume so it's loudest peak hits 0db - no compression or limiting.

Roger

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:12 pm

man, i love it when Rogre comes in and sorts everything out.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:16 pm

saag paneer wrote:man, i love it when Rodgre comes in and sorts everything out.
And I love Saag Paneer!

But Chicken Mahakani/Tikka Masala is my favorite dish ever! No lie.

Roger

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:45 pm

djslayerissick wrote:i use a maximizer on my vocals for live shows.

it helps me cut through the mix and be more intelligible b/c i use all kinds of delay/verb effects and sometimes some distortion and its easy for the lyrics to get lost in the sound.
Hey what's up djslayerissick!

Just out of curiuosity.. what kind of settings did you use when you used the maximizer live? That's always been a problem for us when we played live as we use a lot of effects on vocals for different songs.

Thanks!

chikkenguy
takin' a dinner break

Post by chikkenguy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:49 am

i like to use them on individual tracks sometimes for a couple reasons: a track might be a little muddy and sometimes the bbe helps it out some. also, if i have a track that needs to stand out some more, it sometimes is an issue that eq can deal with, but sometimes using the sonic maximizer seems more appropriate.

i remember reading a post about it recently. somebody said something like "used in moderation they can be helpful, but they are not the magic tool that will make your mmixes all sound better"