Analog semi-pro going to PC DAW- suggestions?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Re: Analog semi-pro going to PC DAW- suggestions?

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue May 13, 2003 10:30 am

just to chime in, i've been using a layla 20 with logic audio on win98 for a couple years now, and it's been working great. i record everything 16/44 and it sounds fine to me. i'm sure 24/96 would sound even better. i've actally been thinking of upgrading, i have my eye on the MOTU 24i/o. does anyone have experience with this? it is brand new. 24 channels of analog in and out sounds too good to be true, perfect for hooking up to a mixing board, or doing tape dumps.

as far as software goes, logic is fantastic, but it has a steep learning curve and apple bought them out so no more pc support or upgrades, so i'd stay away from it on pc.

it seems like everyone has an opinion on the best sound card. i think at this point, everything out there is really good, but some are really really good (and expensive) vs. just really good.

ayan

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Tue May 13, 2003 1:01 pm

ion records wrote:
as far as software goes, logic is fantastic, but it has a steep learning curve and apple bought them out so no more pc support or upgrades, so i'd stay away from it on pc.
ayan
eveyrone's different - I've just started learning/using logic 5.5 in the past few weeks and it's been a really easy learning curve, actually. A couple of stupid questions about hardware setup to the emagic board and i was off and running (under os x, even).
Then again, I'm still new at it, too - so ask me this time next week and i might have found something to get stuck on. :)

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 13, 2003 7:48 pm

I still remember the project I tracked on an Otari DTR100 digital 32-track back in 1991- the one I could only work on that at the studio we recorded it at- because no other studios had one of those machines anywhere else. 24-track analog was the standard at all studios. Your consideration now should be with regard to compatibility. Pro Tools is the defacto standard in the professional recordng industry today. Any studio you walk in to today that is making records on a regular basis, is using Pro Tools. If you're going to be working on tracks at home, why not have them be in the same format from your tracking date? You now have the ability go use that great API console or Neve console at the real studio, use their great Neumann M149 mics and everything else and then take those tracks home to overdub on your system- which if you get Pro Tools- will be the same kind of system you just used in the real studio. Imagine a time when you know the same software and may be quicker with keystrokes than the pro at the console in the real studio. Knowledge is power. Don't make the gear purchase a 'creative' or 'emotional' decision, keep it practical. I've been mixing projects for bands that have their own Pro Tools systems and they send tracks to me because we are 'file compatible'. If you deal with the standard, you will always be able to interface with the professional community.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Wed May 14, 2003 9:30 am

ion records wrote: i've actally been thinking of upgrading, i have my eye on the MOTU 24i/o. does anyone have experience with this? it is brand new. 24 channels of analog in and out sounds too good to be true, perfect for hooking up to a mixing board, or doing tape dumps.
I just spoke with Rob at Zero Return, and he just got one a while back for their 2" 24track studio - They are TapeOp advertisers, so you can look up their ad and go to the website. Rob is a heck of a friendly cat and would most likely answer any email you send him regarding it all. he seems to be very happy with the unit.

Curt.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed May 14, 2003 12:40 pm

Roboburger wrote:I just spoke with Rob at Zero Return, and he just got one a while back for their 2" 24track studio - They are TapeOp advertisers, so you can look up their ad and go to the website. Rob is a heck of a friendly cat and would most likely answer any email you send him regarding it all. he seems to be very happy with the unit.

Curt.
hey curt, thanks for the help.

simple question, can you use any harware with protools, or do you have to use digi hardware?

ayan

knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by knmy » Wed May 14, 2003 12:51 pm

You can only used Digidesign hardware with Pro Tools unless you are using Pro Tools Free. You can use other converters by utilizing the lightpipe in out. That's another story.

Ken
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed May 14, 2003 4:49 pm

Any "standard" that involves a computer is as ephemeral as a dandelion these days. And if you're not working in a big studio, what should you care what they use? Your requirement, your budget, your choice. And there is a difference between a standard and a corporate hegemony.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed May 14, 2003 5:01 pm

max tundra uses an amiga to sequence and autechture use an atari!
that all i have to say! :)
boobs are life's fountain