Studio Projects VTB-1 Mic Pre: Any good?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Studio Projects VTB-1 Mic Pre: Any good?

Post by wormunit » Thu May 29, 2003 1:38 pm

Any one tried one of these things yet? Just curious how it compares to other "budget" pre's. Currently I'm using the Aphex 107 and my Mackie Pre's (I know, I know). Is it that much better or should I just go with a presonus blue tube (2 mic pres for the price of one VTB-1)?

Thanks,

Devin

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Re: Studio Projects VTB-1 Mic Pre: Any good?

Post by dwelle » Thu May 29, 2003 3:36 pm

i'd vote for saving pennies and getting something a little more "pro" like an rnp. you already have that sound covered, why not shoot for a nicer sound. good preamps will really open your eyes.

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:00 am

The VTB-1 is more pro than the RNP IMO. The RNP has a faster slew rate, but the VTB has more definition and aggression. The HI Z input on bass and guitar is MUCH better on the VTB unit. If you are in the nashville area they are having a shoot out, as far as I understand it.

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:01 am

Also, there's a closeout on them at http://www.pmiaudio.com/ for only $117.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

VERY GOOD, for twice the money.

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:20 am

I have a VTB-1 and LOVE lOVe LOVE it! I got the coolest distorted drum sound with it the other day while using a large diaphram condenser to get a drumkit overdub. I use mine all the time and can really hear the difference between the solid state and the tube settings on the drive channel. It's got phase flip, a low-pass filter, 48v phantom and sounds great as a DI too. I really haven't found anything like it out there for the money. The solid state setting sounds super clean and precise. I bought two for a record I was doing with the intention of sending both back and kept one even though I can't afford it.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:21 pm

Deja V.U. wrote:Also, there's a closeout on them at http://www.pmiaudio.com/ for only $117.
Hold on there.... We are no closing them out, but we do from time to time sell of demo gear that we have been using at shows that we cant sell as new, but they are no being closed out.

Anyway, thanks, the VTB1 is a decent low cost unit with lots of flexibility and features. Again, not for everyone but hopefully worth the price of admission that will work well for most of you...
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247
toll free: 877-563-6335 fax: 310-323-9050
url: www.pmiaudio.com e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com

Deja V.U.
pluggin' in mics

Post by Deja V.U. » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm

alanhyatt wrote:
Deja V.U. wrote:Also, there's a closeout on them at http://www.pmiaudio.com/ for only $117.
Hold on there.... We are no closing them out, but we do from time to time sell of demo gear that we have been using at shows that we cant sell as new, but they are no being closed out.

Anyway, thanks, the VTB1 is a decent low cost unit with lots of flexibility and features. Again, not for everyone but hopefully worth the price of admission that will work well for most of you...
Sorry Allan. I when to http://www.studioprojectsusa.com and it had a link to your site claiming that it was selling demos at your closeout page. Guess I jumped the gun there. The main problem I have with the VTB1 is it's inability to rack mount. Maybe I'll just velco it or something.

alanhyatt
pluggin' in mics

Post by alanhyatt » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:38 pm

quote]

Sorry Allan. I when to http://www.studioprojectsusa.com and it had a link to your site claiming that it was selling demos at your closeout page. Guess I jumped the gun there. The main problem I have with the VTB1 is it's inability to rack mount. Maybe I'll just velco it or something.[/quote]

No worries, the new rack kit is on the way, and we will have the photo of it on our site after we get back from NAMM, so your desire for a rack mount kit is almost here...
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Joemeek - Studio Projects - Toft Audio Designs - Valley People - Stephen Paul Microphones
Gardena, CA 90247
toll free: 877-563-6335 fax: 310-323-9050
url: www.pmiaudio.com e-mail: alan@pmiaudio.com