Mapex Drums experience?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rhythm.method
ass engineer

Re: Mapex Drums experience?

Post by rhythm.method » Tue May 11, 2004 8:05 pm

I can agree with all the positive responses about the vintage gretch sound... theres nothin like it. I have just recently bought a new kit for jazz giggin/recording made by tamburo(Italian company) They are incredibly priced for hand-made drums, very round, great attack. They are really cool looking too, they are tongue & groove constructed. Also choose your heads like a jazz cat...or ask some of the drummers what they use for heads...this will be a big part of the sound you will get!!
Tony

The Audio Lab

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Tue May 11, 2004 8:50 pm

yeah, i'd definitly shy away from getting cherry shelled drums. yeah they look cool but the wood does make alot of difference in the sound.

i'd stick to either maple or birch for recording, those are kinda the standards. the maple will have more of a softer warm *notice i didn't say tube :wink: * sound than the birch. birch kits will be more of a cutting attacky sound. all those great gretsch kits the people have been describing have been maple shells.

the cherry will probably sound good, but it's gonna sound different which might be what you want.

but yeah, mapex is an awesome company, i've been pining for one of their birdseye maple kits for a few years, that is if i ever decide that i need more drums in addition to my vintage gretsch kit (which i picked up for under 500)

goldenarmes
ass engineer

Post by goldenarmes » Tue May 11, 2004 9:43 pm

gawd....DW drums make me want to vomit.
peace

j

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue May 11, 2004 9:44 pm

I've got two words for all of you:

Noble

and

Cooley

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed May 12, 2004 7:55 am

Ofr what it's worth, DW's aren't horible, but for the price I don't think they're worth it. I'd rather find an old Rogers or Slingerland kit. Or even an old Gretsch kit for that matter. Something that has a soul to it, not machined perfection for an arm and a leg.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 12, 2004 8:26 am

cgarges wrote:I've got two words for all of you:

Noble

and

Cooley

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
yea... those are great. have you ever played "fibes" or "brady" custom drums? man... those also kick a lot of ass.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 12, 2004 8:29 am

i went to a guitar center one time, and was asking the sales guy about some used vintage ludwig kit they had there... and he was saying something like "i wouldn't even go for vintage... they just don't sound as good as kits today" and then he started trying to sell me a DW kit. i laughed at him and ran away.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 12, 2004 9:00 am

wing wrote:yea... those are great. have you ever played "fibes" or "brady" custom drums? man... those also kick a lot of ass.
Yes...yes, I have. Yes, they do. They aren't Noble & Cooleys. Not in my opinion.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC