Mapex Drums experience?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
eflatminor
audio school graduate

Mapex Drums experience?

Post by eflatminor » Wed May 07, 2003 8:08 am

I am looking into a house drum kit for the studio. I like the idea behind an offering from Mapex called 'Deep Forest'. The drums are 100% cherry wood. I'm thinking a about a basic set up of a 18x14 kick, a 12x8 tom and a 14x14 tom. I generally record jazz and experimental music. I'm not a kit player myself so I'm hoping for some feedback from experienced users. Anyone familiar with this kit? How does it compare to the classic kits of the 50s and 60s. Would you recommend I consider anything else?

Thanks!

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Re: Mapex Drums experience?

Post by thearnicasync » Wed May 07, 2003 9:23 am

I had the distinct displeasure of playing at the Viper Room some years back, and the house kit (that I used) was a Mapex. I was originally very afraid, but was amazed at how warm the kick and toms were. The snare was even round and crisp. I thought that kit sounded huge. Just my .02.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 10:31 am

I have a Mapex kit in my studio and I find them to be very nice drums. Mine are maple, though, so I don't know what the cherrywood ones would sound like. But, overall, I think they're fine drums.

-mark

tmix
audio school graduate

Post by tmix » Wed May 07, 2003 10:35 am

I have 2 Mapex kits.
The one that is set up in the Studio is one of their Lower line Voyager kits ( 18"kick 8/10/12 toms and 12"wood snare) and it sounds very good for Jazz/ Funk /Folk.
I also have one of their Maple Pro M shallow shell sets use live and love it.
The deep forrest set should be every bit as good.
Yeah... there may be better... but if it is a decent price you should be very satisfied.

If you want to hear any thing recorded with the Mapex kit, let me know and I'll post some stuff.
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield, Texas.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 11:38 am

for a decent priced kit, i think they're actually quite good. they're nothing amazing but do have good quality for the price. good value. and not bad looking either.

shoehorn
audio school graduate

Post by shoehorn » Wed May 07, 2003 12:13 pm

My wife has a Mapex Pro-M micro kit and it sounds huge and I love it for recording. For the price I recommend it highly.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 pm

I'm currently recording this band, the drummer has the V Series maple kit. For a $500 kit, they sound huge, warm, and are pretty versatile. Really nice drums for the price, IMO.

shoehorn
audio school graduate

Post by shoehorn » Wed May 07, 2003 12:31 pm

P.S. Something that is not often thought about but the hardware that comes with these kits is also very well made, compare to a similar priced Tama or Pearl kit and you can see and feel the difference.

eflatminor
audio school graduate

Post by eflatminor » Wed May 07, 2003 1:45 pm

Wow - thanks for all the feedback. There certainly appears to be a consensous that Mapex are good drums for the money. I am curious however as to what you guys thinks are great drums regardless of the money. I know there is no one "best" but I'd love to hear what you would acquire for house drums in a jazz recording studio if money were not an issue. Sound is the only factor of importance to me. Snob/brand appeal may help get new customers but I'm more concerned with the sound on tape.

Thanks again

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 1:53 pm

eflatminor wrote:I know there is no one "best" but I'd love to hear what you would acquire for house drums in a jazz recording studio if money were not an issue.
Haven't recorded much jazz, but if money were no object, DW drums all the way for me. Don't know how they'd sound on jazz, though.

-mark

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 2:12 pm

gretsch are amazing with jazz, don't let anyone fool you or make it sound like that's just a "cliche"... to me they have a wonderful jazz sound. they can be expensive though, but you can get lucky and find an old classic at an awesome price. i mean, if that is your thing, and you want a really great jazz sound... DWs are great too! but now, we're talking about expensive stuff... hehe. :lol:

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Wed May 07, 2003 4:41 pm

I'm certainly no drummer, though I had the distinct pleasure of borrowing a set of Austalian made Brady drums from the then-importer in Tallahassee, FL to record an album with. Exceptionally well made and strikingly beautiful, the drums mad the recording process sooo easy because they sounded incredible. The snare was apparently made from a solid block of wood. These were really expensive drums (like $4k for the kit and $1k for the snare) and I'm not sure if they are available any more.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed May 07, 2003 5:00 pm

Gretsch drums rule the vibe school, with a close second going to the keystone badge era Ludwigs.

If I got into spending lots of cash on a kit, I'd have to go Pork Pie over DW, Sonor, etc. Those Pork Pies are AMAZING.

Too bad I can only afford the snare ;)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed May 07, 2003 5:15 pm

motormantra wrote:Gretsch drums rule the vibe school, with a close second going to the keystone badge era Ludwigs.
oh yea, i hear ya. i am getting together a set of WFLs/Ludwig transition drums (ive got a floor tom and a rack tom, just need a bass drum). love them. just love them.

so basically, what i gotta say is- you need to check out some nice vintage sets before you go ahead with the mapex. even in overpriced san francisco you can get a 3 piece gretsch for less than a grand or even less if you buy from someone in the classifieds...

find a store that stocks all sorts of drums, new and old. and start playing around. they all sound pretty different... but what i have found is that the nice ones tune up easier. they seem to sing with tone, even when not hit directly or not tuned up just perfectly.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed May 07, 2003 5:24 pm

Yep. If you're looking at older drums, pop the rims off and check out the bearing edges. If they're in good shape, you're in business.