prescription electronics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

prescription electronics

Post by phantom power » Thu May 29, 2003 3:51 pm

Anyone ever tinker with these pedals? They look really cool. I'm hoping to try out the "experience" and/or "dual tone" sometime soon. I just wanted to know from someone who's tried them if they live up to their reviews.
Thanks -AE

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: prescription electronics

Post by thunderboy » Thu May 29, 2003 6:00 pm

The Experience pedal is pretty awesome ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO PLAY WITH IT. It kinda becomes a part of your instrument. It also requires some twiddling to find the right setting(s) for you/your git/your amp/blahblah.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu May 29, 2003 6:06 pm

I own an early (no LED's) blue sparkle Experience. It's a wonderful pedal that's performed like a champ for all the years I've owned it. I'm going to have to pick up a ZVEX Fuzz Factory sometime in the near future.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu May 29, 2003 7:25 pm

I emailed Zvex asking if they might release a clean octave-up pedal, something I've always wanted--and the master himself wrote back recommending the Prescription Clean Octave Boost pedal (though he said that an analog clean octave that goes up 12 steps is really tricky to do). I haven't heard it but hell--what better recommendation could there be?

daveaux
pluggin' in mics

Post by daveaux » Fri May 30, 2003 2:07 am

Been a faithful Yardbox (Vox Fuzz clone) owner for years, used the Experience a bit - the whole Hendrix package in a box (although I persoanlly couldn't use it real often)...their shit is tight. Hand-wired, killer warrantee.

The Yardbox is useful for a lot of stuff, especially recording - it has a tone control that seems to sweep the tone peak, rather than just lessen the treble - i.e., when you turn towards the bass end, the bass gets more--intense.

I like to turn down the fuzz and gain and crank the output with my one-channel tube amps. Sounds killer on bass, too (think The Hives' single).
Daveaux
N.O.LA

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri May 30, 2003 3:36 am

The Prescription Experience pedal is the circuit equivalent of an old Foxx Tone Machine fuzz with the added "swell" circuit.

It's a fantastic fuzzbox, and once you understand what it's doing, it gets really easy to use.

Think of it as two separate pedals in one box. One is a pretty huge sounding fuzz (not exactly, but similar in tone to a Big Muff or a Fuzz Face.... huge, wooly, a pretty useable straight ahead distortion/fuzz with a wide tonal range.) Add to that fuzz an octavia-style octave up effect (think the solo in Hendrix's Purple Haze.) This is all well and good, and is basically what a Foxx Tone Machine from the 70's is. I would love it just for this. (By the way, for cheap cheap, you can get a Danelectro French Toast fuzz, which is basically a tiny Tone Machine with surface-mount components and a slightly wimpier and thinner tone...but for $40....)

Prescription has added a second circuit to the Experience which it calls "swell." Basically, it's another clipping circuit which switches in and out after the Tone Machine circuit (this is why you should think of it as two pedals in series, than one, because the OUTPUT LEVEL of the Tone Machine circuit must be up to drive the SWELL circuit, and the SWELL has it's own OUTPUT LEVEL control as well.) With the Tone Machine's controls set for a good hot output level, a good amount of DRIVE and the TONE rolled back down (I like it around 9 or 10 o'clock), kick in the SWELL switch, making sure the SWELL Volume is up, and you get this killer tone of the SWELL circuit collapsing with the signal of the Tone Machine fuzz. It collapses then swells back up, giving you this great backward-like volume swell. It's very trippy and nasty sounding. It's not like using a volume pedal or a Slow Gear....it's like your amp is exploding. The only thing I've ever heard to make this sound.

Prescription makes great pedals, most of which are clones of long out-of-production vintage pedals. Between them and Fulltone, there are many options for great vintage fuzztones.

Roger