What fx pedal would you like to see manufactured?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Re: What fx pedal would you like to see manufactured?

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Fri May 30, 2003 1:49 pm

I second the shuman Pedals ... Basically two pitch sensitive sqare wave generators each independantly tunable to any interval of the input note. Then all kinds of options as to follow delay and blend. really cool

Cheers
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri May 30, 2003 2:27 pm

Okay. I think I saw this back in the 70's when E-H had those one-sheets claiming that Hendrix used each one of their boxes (which is true). I've never seen it again and never seen anything like it, but I need a whole bunch of them and have been looking for a long time.

This pedal has absolutely no electronics, but it's a footpedal a la wah wah and has a cable running out of it. The end of the cable has a nut and/or screw assembly that replaces any knob on any box. The pedal action controls the clockwise/counterclockwise motion of the knob. That's it.

Make it. I'll buy 5.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri May 30, 2003 2:28 pm

OK, so where can I find out about the Schuman pedals? There's no info on the web that I can find, and Main Drag music doesn't have a working web site. What different pedals does he make, and what do they cost? Thanks, John.

(you can send me an email at inverseroom@hotmail.com)

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri May 30, 2003 2:36 pm

Osumosan wrote:The pedal action controls the clockwise/counterclockwise motion of the knob. That's it.
That's brilliant! I want that! Please! Please! Somebody make it!

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Fri May 30, 2003 3:03 pm

i want to see DOD start manufacturing the Fx51 Juice Box again. hell, let's bring back all of the "box" pedals, buzz, punkifier, blah blah blah...i've written them for the last month or so almost every week about the juice box, but still no reply.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Fri May 30, 2003 3:10 pm

Anyone out there have a way to get in touch with schumann? I can't find anything on the internet.

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Fri May 30, 2003 4:36 pm

for anyone interested in schumann info, your're right, there's nothing on the web. if you're curious, i'd be glad to to help by sending pics of the ones i have, though only one of them is a commercially released pedal, the PLL. just email me at pscottm@hotmail.com. or call main drag in brooklyn (718) 388 6365, they can tell you more about the pedals. john's workshop (schumann) is at the store so he's usually there too. they sell his pedals at the front counter so could potentially mail you one as well. i was there a few weeks ago and he had a new batch of 18 PLLs almost finished.
cheers,
scott m

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri May 30, 2003 8:21 pm

Osumosan wrote:Okay. I think I saw this back in the 70's when E-H had those one-sheets claiming that Hendrix used each one of their boxes (which is true). I've never seen it again and never seen anything like it, but I need a whole bunch of them and have been looking for a long time.

This pedal has absolutely no electronics, but it's a footpedal a la wah wah and has a cable running out of it. The end of the cable has a nut and/or screw assembly that replaces any knob on any box. The pedal action controls the clockwise/counterclockwise motion of the knob. That's it.

Make it. I'll buy 5.
Yes, it's called the HotFoot and if you find them used, they are ridiculously expensive.

Boston Guitar Works has been threatening to produce one for years. It's basically a wah rocker attached to a bicycle brake cable that hooks onto whatever knob you want (no not THAT knob) and you can control it with the pedal.

Why no one else has made one is beyond me...

Roger

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Fri May 30, 2003 8:32 pm

Rog,

Thanks for the info. I knew I wasn't crazy! Y'ain't kiddin 'bout being expensive. I just saw one for $195. Whoa! I ain't gettin' five of those.

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clamp » Sat May 31, 2003 6:14 pm

I think Morley used to make a pedal that was a phaser but with the ability
to control the phase shift with a continuos controller pedal like a wah. That'd
be cool.
Also, with all these 'subminiture tube' mic mods we've seen, why not try a subminiture tube based distortion pedal. I don't know how it'd sound against regular miniture tubes, but since the things run on lower voltage (100v vs 350v ish) they'd be cheaper to build.(a standard cheap Radio Shack power transformer, cheaper electrolytic caps, cheaper bigger signal caps, etc)
I figure you could also build the thing more like a real amp; with a couple of triode preamp stages, pentode output stages, submini-tube rectifier, a real live output transformer. I've even heard these tubes last much longer and are physically tougher, having been made originally for hearing aids and, get this, artillery shell proximity fuses. I've read that some of these tubes can withstand 20,000 G's (That's 20,000 times the force of gravity. Fighter pilots pull around a max of 12.) That'd be stomp box you could use to beat down an ugly groopie.
:twisted:

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sat May 31, 2003 10:32 pm

clamp wrote:I think Morley used to make a pedal that was a phaser but with the ability
to control the phase shift with a continuos controller pedal like a wah. That'd
be cool.
Yes, Morley made a Phaser and a Flanger that could sweep the phase and flange with the rocker OR control the rate. They were pretty cool sounding pedals, but I rarely see them pop up on the used market nowadays.

clamp wrote: Also, with all these 'subminiture tube' mic mods we've seen, why not try a subminiture tube based distortion pedal.
There are a few of them out there. Siegmund makes one that I know of. There are the Tube Driver series of pedals that use 12AX7s....but the Siegmund uses the microtube thang. Never tried it though...

Roger

Aquasloth
audio school

Post by Aquasloth » Sat May 31, 2003 11:54 pm

ottokbre wrote:i want them to make a battery powered guitar mount kaos pad with a bunch of pitch doo-hickies.
Beck's guitar player (Lyle Workman? - Yeah.) Had a special guitar made (by, I think, Schecter or Fernandes) with a Kaoss Pad built right into the lower bout of the guitar (like where the tone knobs would be on a Strat). He also had a Fernandes Sustainer built in so he could hold a note and tweak it with the Kaoss Pad.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:16 am

I just want a real plate reverb.

Tremelo are cool. And Echoplex-like stuff rock!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:41 pm

Is the Z. Vex Nano Head not exactly what we're lookin' for here--a stompbox--no, make that an entire amp--made with miniature tubes? And strenuously validated by TapeOp, no less.

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clamp » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:23 pm

Thanks Rodgre on the Morely & Siegmund info.

As for the Z. Vex thing I figure that's predated by some H&K boxes (Hughes & Kettner not Heckler & Kock, the machine gun makers). I've heard good things about the Z. Vex mini amp with tube pre and power amp. The H&K didn't sound right to me (read downright ass), but that could have been the state of repair of the instrument or the previous owners choice of replacement tubes.
The submini-thang has intrigued me because of the posibilty of 'modelling' features including recto-choices, output-classes, output x-formers from custom builders, ya-ya-ya all types of exotic topologies in lower voltage multistages in a conviently smaller box.
Isn't the Z. Vex thing a suped-up champ (can I say that without the tm) style creature; single triode pre, pentode output, and actually a SS rectifier.
Don't get me wrong, I have not even touched the thing, I'm sure it's great and worth the scrilla. However, we could be trying for a stage for stage copy of an AC30 in subminiture. I realize we're not deailing with the same tubes or voltages or tranny's, but there are some brilliant designers out there.
I do wonder if there are enough sub-mini's left to entice a big builder to give chase. All the sub-mini's I've got read 'JAN' dating them to the 'join Army Navy' days.
So in closing: go get real jobs you goddamn long haired hippies. Then send $12.50 to P.O. Box 117... E. New Foundland...Fake Address Island...