Audix D6 (as well as other D series mics)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Audix D6 (as well as other D series mics)

Post by cassembler » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:36 pm

D1-D4: a nice set of conveniently sized mics designed for drum use. Work fantastic in live environments, and average (at very worst) results in the studio.

Having used them exclusively on drums (except a D4 on vocals: nice, but not the one), I'd have to say that the worst part about them is the drum clamps. They're great in theory, but heavy use screws them up and then they just deteriorate annoyingly.

D4 is FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC as a top snare mic... good as kick, nice on floor toms. D2 works for anything, except perhaps kick. D1 is a nice rack tom mic, and will "do" for snare. I suspect any would work adequately for guitar cabs and other general sources. I use the D1, 2, and 4 in the studio with nice results.

I have mixed feelings for the D6. If you have some decent EQ, it's great. It picks up all the lows and thump you could ever want (It's cool to hear a thumpin' 30 Hz 40 feet away, on the other side of a brick wall). But the top end seems kinda plastick-ey hyped. I find myself consistently shelving off starting at 2-3k or so (which isn't a big deal 'cause I'm use to having to EQ the kick in the live arena). But when done right, this mic will reveal how well your subs REALLY work. I will say that for some music, this high end might be desirable, and is just a characteristic to keep in mind. I'd like to try it on a good bass cab to pick up some extra presence... Haven't used it in the studio yet.

Which reminds me, I didn't get the overheads that come with the pack, so no review on those.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: Audix D6 (as well as other D series mics)

Post by ottokbre » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:14 pm

my buddy has these and got great sounds to a vs2480. i was suprised. then I found out that he had a GT tube mic behind his head, and then I got the pictures. still, great speration for that big complex drumming shit.

have you tried the mics on other sources?
boobs are life's fountain

Cephallus
gettin' sounds

Post by Cephallus » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:29 pm

I use a D4 on kick drum almost exclusively, unless it's a jazz sound when I'll use a 451.

D4 on vox? I'll have to try that one too (hurries off to dig up the freq. chart)

C

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:36 pm

The D-3 is quite excellent on clean guitar and brass.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

sonariste
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sonariste » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:40 pm

The D6 is a great kick mic. I have used it for many applications, Always a good sound.

The D4 is the best tom mic ever, well....... for me anyway.

Not enough low lows for (d4) me on kick, but as a tom mic it is really top notch.

Don't know the other D mics that well, Did a shootout w the D2 and D3 on toms... the D4 kicked both their asses. That was the last time I listened to the d2 d3.

lars savage
audio school graduate

Post by lars savage » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:36 am

I'll swear by D2 on snare and D4's on toms... great bottom end on both, respective to those applications. For those frustrated with the mounting situation, OM series vocal mic clips turned backwards will hold them pretty well.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:59 pm

I'm telling you guys... D4 on snare, for rock at least, is just fucking PHAT!!!
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

anewman

Post by anewman » Fri May 07, 2004 8:31 am

I had the whole DP-5 pack and I whole-heartedly agree about the clamps - they are the worst. You have to make sure that once you get the mics in the right position that the little buggers don't move around on you. The mics don't sound bad, but don't sound great either. I don't have strong opinions one way or another on the D1, 2, or 4, but can tell you for sure that the D6 isn't worth it's salt. Once I got a D112 I stopped using the kit and dumped it.

-Adam
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri May 07, 2004 8:47 am

Okay, I'll admit it: I swallowed the D6 hype hook, line and sinker, and picked up one, believing it would be the last kick mic I'd ever need.

And here on the morning after... I find I have to EQ the hell out of it anyway, and then it sounds okay, but not so extraordinarily more okay than my D112, and I'm STILL looking for the kick mic of my dreams.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

anewman

Post by anewman » Fri May 07, 2004 8:56 am

I think I'm going to keep working with the D112 inside and try a 421 a bit outside... I hear that's a good way to go, thud and slap - adjust to taste.

-Adam
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

Reuben
takin' a dinner break

Post by Reuben » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:09 pm

I too have used the D-4 on a snare. Sounded cool...I still prefer a 57 usually, or a pencil condenser like a 4051a.
Reuben Radding
www.reubenradding.com

Soulfull
pluggin' in mics

Post by Soulfull » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:26 pm

I use a D1, 2 D2s, and a D4 on toms for live recodings. I use an EV 868 on kick and an EV 468 on snare. My overheads are a matched pair of Octava MC 012s. I think this is a pretty good set for drums. You would have to spend real money to get signifcantly better. I have also gotten a nice sound both live and for minimal taping with the 868 in the kick and the 468 directly over the snare but 3 or 4 feet above it to get the whole kit.

I have a nice harmonica track recorded with one of the D2s. It was handheld like a bullet mic and a nice size for that. I have used the D1 and D2 on congas and other precussion.

My Audix clips/clamps have held up ok.
Jack Bulkley
SoulFull Recording
Apex, NC

sonariste

Post by sonariste » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:24 pm

here's some nice drum mics for rock:

Kick... fet 47.. beyer M88...Senn 421...D6 SM91. My fav is 421 out sm91 in
Snare.. beyer M201 or sm57
hat.. never end up using it in mix but sm81
toms... AUDIX D4 in U suspension clips
OH... km 184 or AT4047 on smashers mxl 603 in a pinch if there are no 184's

anyway.. D4 on toms always

scully
audio school

Post by scully » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:14 am

i have used theses mics live and found them pretty good but never used them in the studio im scared now after readin some the posts anyone like neumann km184 or use a d112 in the kick and a pzm outside and a tie mic you know the one for tv all on kick drum?
watch out for them zombies