"I record music, not noise floors."

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:25 pm

i was just listening to the new Primus EP 'Animals Should not try to act like People".

very wierd. interesting. entertaining. as always.

but the noise floor is REALLY high. and the instrumentation often so sparse that it really pokes out. but it makes me think again how little that really matters. even when you the band live, theres normally a fair amount of hiss from the guitars and a little hum from the PA, etc.

i was dealing with that last weekend. each track has some inherent noise. pretty low on each individual track, but when you added it all up, the noise floor was about -45 to -50 dB. which i think is kinda high. the recordings still sound great, so i'm not really worrying about it anymore.

but what noise floor level do you guys normally have?

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: "I record music, not noise floors."

Post by inverseroom » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:35 pm

djslayerissick wrote:but what noise floor level do you guys normally have?
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you measure it?

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:49 pm

inverseroom wrote:
djslayerissick wrote:but what noise floor level do you guys normally have?
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you measure it?
check the meters when your program is playing, but there is no music (noise=unwanted sound)
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:56 pm

this seems to be an extension of the fear and loathing discussion. I guess it is relative; it depends on what your values are.

I often think about some crappy 80's song. How produced the song is. But the song is utter sheiss. So you had a bunch of guys spending tons of time and money getting "killer guitar tone" and the perfect gated verb on the snare, and what's the point, when the music is horse sheiss. The point is some people like that lame song.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:58 pm

Les is sorta deaf in one ear. and i believe most of this new stuff was done in his home studio.
he just bought an API console and has some great gear. but i wouldn't call any of the primus guys recording engineers. we used micro limiters on the early primus records, and they were noisy as hell. although Les recently told me he doesn't use the micro limiters anymore now that he has "real"
gear. i said i'd take em. i will always like micro limiters.

i think they just don't do mutes when they mix. and he has an MCI analog
machine, so there might be some tape hiss. I hate to admit i havent listened to this record yet. i hear it's freaky.