Marantz 4-Trackerz

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ottokbre
deaf.

Marantz 4-Trackerz

Post by ottokbre » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:30 am

Remeber these?
They looked so cool in the catalog.

Anyways, I was looking for a new home amp. and I came across one on eBay. Did these things sound/work good? Ever since my Tascam 02 petered out I've been casually looking for a replacment.

VU's on each channel!
boobs are life's fountain

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Re: Marantz 4-Trackerz

Post by Derrick » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:28 am

I absolutely LOVE mine! I've had it since 1995. I do these recordings on it that people cannot believe are just a "4 track" recording. The quality seems better then anything Tascam or Fostex or Yamah I've ever messed with. I'm not an expert on 4 trcks, but I do believe this one to be the best. The sound quality is it's biggist strenth over other recorders. Secondly, would be the smart design of controls and features. You'll find that you can control the kind of things you would want to controle had someone asked you for design input. It even has XLR inputs! Pretty serious for a 4 track. Add descent recording technique or experimentation and you can get sounds that just swallow up all those local "3-song-demo, block-rate-special" studios. :lol: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

difeng
audio school

Post by difeng » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:27 pm

The board on mine is kind of noisy. I'm not sure if it has become worse with age, or if I've just started to notice it more. Actually, it's mainly when you turn up the mic inputs that you get the noise. If I use a separate board or mic pre it sounds pretty good.

Otherwise, it's a good sounding recorder with a decent amount of functionality. And they do have the nice VUs. :wink:

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:09 am

Yeah, I still have my PMD-740. With the digital counters, auto locate, and, most importantly, the VU meters that glow green but turn red on a track when recording. I agree that these things blow away other cassette 4-tracks in sound quality. I got mine at a pawn shop in 1996 for $200.
--bh

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:36 pm

Yay - 4 tracks. 4 bloody tracks though, eh.

Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(The Crudballs, Tyrone P. Spink, The Fuxx, Shitters, The Geighs...)