gear manual trading center?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
djimbe
tinnitus

gear manual trading center?

Post by djimbe » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:55 am

I'd like to get some opinions on some sort of trading clearing house for gear manuals. I've passed a few manuals back and forth here and it's been a godsend. This subject can easily get into some very sketchy legal water, what with copywrite infringement, and companies that charge you to get a service manual, though. It seems the things get held pretty close to the vest, and I'd be intrested to hear from some of the wiser, more professional folks why this might be. CCPP's idea of a sticky on tape machine calibration has made a manual repository the next logical question in my mind.
Also, we're going through a name change for our studio, which means a web site change too. I'd really like to offer up all of the technical service manuals we've collected over the years, but I'm wondering if some of the more experienced folks have gotten grief for doing so in the past, and now shy from it. I personally can't imagine trying to operate a studio full of gear, especially some older stuff that needs regular and specific maintenance, without the proper documentation on hand. I know the fact that I'm missing a few vital documents hampers my efforts...I can't be the only person out there like that. What say the rest of the community?
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

markpar
george martin

Re: gear manual trading center?

Post by markpar » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:00 pm

That sounds like a great idea. I've been searching for a manual for my MTR-10 for months!

-mark

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:50 pm

I think it's an excellent idea. I'd be more than happy to share any manuals I've got for the cost of copying and postage.

Often, the reason manuals are so hard to come by is that manufacturers are no longer supporting older equipment and don't offer any documentation. If that's the case, I don't see there being any issue with us making copies for each other.

There are a few online places that offer copies of manuals, but they are (understandably) trying to make a profit. I think a manual/schematic cooperative would be very cool.

How could we handle the logistics of it? Seems like a major pain in the ass to list everything for which you've got a manual.

Mark

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:38 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:There are a few online places that offer copies of manuals, but they are (understandably) trying to make a profit. I think a manual/schematic cooperative would be very cool.
Do you have a link to any of these places? If it's not *too* much, I'd pay for a copy.

Thanks!!
-mark

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:54 pm

belvins audio exchange (www.blevinsaudioexchange.com) offers all of the sony and mci manuals for sale (copies). i checked this out because i was looking to purchase the manual for the Sony APR-24 2" 24 track, and it was completely overpriced. they wanted to charge me $200-$300 for the manual! after they told me this, i asked if they would at least fax me the page that shows what each alignment pot was, so i could align my machine. to this they responded "we charge $60 (i dont remember the exact number, but it was ridiculous) an hour for over-the-phone customer service, email me your question, and I'll tell you how much it costs, paypal us, and I'll call you back." so, if you can find someone with your manual, get it from them, if not, get it from anywhere, but not from blevins.

daniel

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:55 pm

There's a huge repository of audio equipment manuals on some educational institution's website (Berklee?)... I wish I could remember the address. Anybody?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:02 pm

Last edited by rhythm ranch on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:17 pm

Thanks SO MUCH! I found a PDF of the MTR-10 manual at the Berklee link.

That ROX!

-mark

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:24 pm

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:02 pm

Wow. You rock with amazing power!! :P
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:59 pm

Aw, shucks... :oops:

Thanks mpm!

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:11 am

rhythm ranch, that is a hugely useful list! I only knew about 7 or 8 of those sites tops! Haven't checked the others out yet, but certainly will and keep 'em all on file for directing others to in times of need. Didn't see any naysayers on a list for our new website, so will plan on making some kinda file cabinet of documentation we have available and places to look for other stuff. Many, Many thanks!
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:58 am

Awesome list... I wish more companies were like Soundcraft in providing old manuals. Soundcraft has pretty much everything available, even down to a scanned-in copy of the crusty old manual for the 1S I first learned pro audio on.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:19 am

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Thanx!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.