Help! I think i killed my R2R!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Help! I think i killed my R2R!

Post by buddy holly » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:31 pm

Hi. This is really embarrassing, but I accidentally used a demagnetizer on my Tascam TSR-8 tape heads with the power on. Now the thing won't record on tracks 1-5. In record mode and during recording I get good strong levels on 2-5 (almost nothing on 1) on the meters, but during playback the levels are very weak (not even enough to show up on the tascam's meters. Also, there is quite a bit of cross talk between tracks now, enough to show up on the meters of the adjacent tracks.

What specifically have I done here? Can someone give me a best case/ worst case scenario? Is this something that is fixable? Or should I accept a learned lesson and start saving up for another?

thanks in advance for any help, and please feel free to berrate, lecture, ridicule, etc.

--bh

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Help! I think i killed my R2R!

Post by ladewd » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:35 am

I accidentally used a demagnetizer on my Tascam TSR-8 tape heads with the power on.
You're not supposed to do that!!! (ridicule finished). My guess is you probably fried some electronics. It would be hard to say just what, but I would guess it is in the repro amp area. I'd get an estimate and if it costs more than you feel the machine is worth, start saving for another one.

CA

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:47 am

Or, keep an eye open for a TSR-8 with transport problems or with shot heads. Such a machine could be obtained cheaply. Then steal the cards out of that machine to replace the damaged cards in yours.
Last edited by NewYorkDave on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:48 am

I always wondered what would happen if you did that. I used to sweat bullets when de-magging........now I know why.

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:52 am

That's what I figured happened. i read in the TSR-8 manual that magnetism in the range of .7 Gauss would affect performance. the damag puts out a field worth about 10K Gauss.

I guess I'll get an estimate, but i bet a repair would exceed the cost of buying another one. Good idea dave on the cards thing. TSR-8s are all over ebay. Are the cards easy to replace?

Man, how frustrating. I had just upgraded to a better mixer and was just trying to get that little extra bit of performance out of it. It probably wouldn't even have been a noticeable improvement. I never even got to record with the new setup. At least now i might be able to swing an Otari 1/2" without the wife divorcing me.
--bh