Fostex D2424LV or Alesis HD24 ?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Re: Fostex D2424LV or Alesis HD24 ?

Post by cyrusjulian » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:17 pm

JES wrote:Here's a question for your Alesis owners: virtual tracks. Do you simply not use them? Is there a workaround that works as well as virtual tracks?

I ask because as someone who's learned on DAW mixing, they're essential to my working style, and seem to be one of the great "convenience" advantages over tape recording.

Thanks.

--JES
Here's a workaround I used to do. Say I wanted to try to decide between two guitar parts. I would just record the part on a two different tracks. It was rare that I needed to use all 24 tracks on songs, so I found I usually had a few tracks to spare. And if I did need all 24 tracks, a lot of times, I would still be able to hear the parts in the whole context of the song to decide which parts I liked better. I hope this made sense...

Oh, I also loved my HD24. Worked great for me. And the reason I leaned towards my HD24 instead of a DAW (in addition to the other reasons listed above) is because computers just ruin the creative process for me. I dunno, just does... If you referring to the all in one units ( I have a Yamaha AW16G) I like em as songwriting tools, but it's nice to be able to use outboard gear such as a UREI 1176 compressor. You're pretty much limited to whatever internal effects your recorder has. Oh well, just my opinion...