oktava on sale at Chicago GC

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
EasyGo
buyin' a studio

oktava on sale at Chicago GC

Post by EasyGo » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:07 pm

"How many do you need?" asks the clerk.

MK-012 $49.99
MK-319 $49.99

At the Halsted St. location, they have a sign on the side of the mic display case that advertises the sale. Evil bastards :P

blameshifter
gettin' sounds

Re: oktava on sale at Chicago GC

Post by blameshifter » Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:27 pm

what the fuck?! theyre charging the same price for a 319 as they normally do an 012? did they have any left in stock? im leaving now!
"My freedom to move my fist must be limited
by the proximity of your chin."

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:11 pm

wow - i may have to call the one in harrisburg
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:15 pm

in houston, they have 2 MK-319's for $100... seeing as how my brother already has that mic (and i can borrow it anytime), and i find it only decent for my needs, i wouldn't go out of my way to spend $100 on my own two. it is good on my vocals though.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:39 pm

Is this everywhere, or only in specific stores? I want some mk-012s. I missed em last time.
I am wangtacular.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:12 pm

I just got a couple of 319's at the GC in highland park, 2 for a hundred bucks. I believe they were the last ones there. I got lucky
Last edited by Kilroy on Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:17 pm

Bear wrote:Is this everywhere, or only in specific stores? I want some mk-012s. I missed em last time.
I dunno about that.

I wandered in specifically hoping to find the mk-012s on some sort of deal, and they had the regular signs up, $99.99 for the 319 and $99.99 for each 012 as well. The clerk asked me if I needed help, and I said I was just hoping for a sale on Oktava, and he pointed to a small sign advertising a 'rebate' on Oktava.

This was at the Chicago location on Halsted St. GC hasn't sent me any flyers in a while, so I dunno if its chain-wide. They may be trying to thin the year-end inventory count, so it's worth a call I suppose.

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:59 pm

I just went to the GC here in portland and was going to buy one mk012 at $99.95 as marked to see how I liked it, then the cashier asked me for $49.95, & I said I'll take two! Didn't ask about the mk319 as I already have one & am not sure if I want another yet.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:55 pm

i have
2 x mk219's
1 x mk012 w/ 3 capsules
1 x mkl 2500 (in transit)

i am happy with what I have heard so far.

i'll see if the harrisburg store has any
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:42 am

guitar center needs to get wise and start stocking the other capsules for those mics. they've made them so cheap that everyone and their mother has them, but eventually you want more options than just cardiod all the time. if they're selling that many cardiods at 100 or 50 a pop, if they could just start moving individual capsules for 30-50 a piece, i'd start buying again.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:27 am

I am not near a Guit Center so I called them up and ordered a couple that they are shipping to me for like $5. Hopefully I will luck into some decent ones as I dont have the oppurtunity to try them first. I suppose I can return them if they suck. They said they are readily available at the sale price even if they dont have them in stock.

Whats a good shockmount for the 319?

Don Shumai
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Don Shumai » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:51 am

The Boston GC has them for $49.99. I don't know how many they have in stock, but I got a 319 yesterday no problem.

Well, no problem other than having to put up with the usual idiots playing Sweet Child O' Mine at top volume while I waited for assistance.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:55 pm

Hey, I saw the Jan 2004 GC ad and went out and bought 2 of the Oktava 319's for $99...checked them out and found one wired out of phase. Used my trusty trashy ART Tube MP and one 319 sounded better with the phase reverse switched-in, different than the other 319, which correctly sounded more full-bodied on my voice with the phase reverse switch out of the circuit. Took the bad one back to GC, which promptly exchanged it for one that checked out OK at home. I wonder how many other mis-wired 319's are out there?

Seanson
audio school graduate

Post by Seanson » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:33 am

I guess... i don't know... i'm only replying because i work at GC, and well, i feel i shoud set the record straight. Ok, i can't set the record straight, but i only know that the MK319's are on sale well because, we bought a whole hell of a shipment from Oktava to begin with, and well, they're Russian. Which explains the inconsistencey in mics. I don't know what affect that has on the retail, but well, it's why we're selling them so cheap. Really, you won't find two that are exactly alike at GC, but it's worth a gamble, and still, it's worth the cost on one. I do know that come the middle of the month, we'll have a whole new shipment in from Russia, which ='s the savings. So hop on it, even if it's not in stock. Rain Checks are equally available.

I really hope that i can 'hook up' whoever is reading this. At least try me, and i know i can get you a sweet deal. I'm willing to give Tape-Oppers a sweet deal, so please give me a call anytime you've got a question, or want a 'deal'... we're talking... 15% above cost, or better. So please... call me. 952.929.1680...be sure to ask for Sean. I can hook you up with anything ... anything we sell.... period.

xxxoo,
Sean

eh91311 wrote:Hey, I saw the Jan 2004 GC ad and went out and bought 2 of the Oktava 319's for $99...checked them out and found one wired out of phase. Used my trusty trashy ART Tube MP and one 319 sounded better with the phase reverse switched-in, different than the other 319, which correctly sounded more full-bodied on my voice with the phase reverse switch out of the circuit. Took the bad one back to GC, which promptly exchanged it for one that checked out OK at home. I wonder how many other mis-wired 319's are out there?
/put a lil' butter on it

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:47 pm

How much would a B.L.U.E. mouse cost me?