unique sound from placing microphone inside trumpet bell

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

unique sound from placing microphone inside trumpet bell

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:48 am

Just wanted to pass on a cool filter effect of placing a mic into an old sawed off trumpet bell. I took a 57 and put some cork around it (for better fit, and to keep the bell from contacting the mic) This treatment sounds just like what it is. You get the 57 sound but theres this tone that just sounds unique. Makes the recorded track seem to be from the 40's (for lack of a better discription). Sounds really cool on vocals clean electric guitar and others.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Mark
tinnitus

Re: unique sound from placing microphone inside trumpet bell

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:15 am

MP3s please.

I don't have a spare trumpet to chop up.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: unique sound from placing microphone inside trumpet bell

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:09 am

I remember John Agnello showing me a big coxswains megaphone at water he puts mic's in. I love mechanically filtering with different shape/size items.

I would love to make a set of tubes measured for specific frequencies, then write the freq. on each one.

There has been some interestng instruments made by strikig the end of PVC tubing cut to specific lengths to achieve specific pitches, and you could use that with a mic.

If you tuned a chunk of PVC to "a" you could really get something fun happening for a song that was in "A" by flavoring the drums with a weird "a" overtone with a 57 in the end of the tube on the floor or something.

Fun.