Songwriting: Isolation or Stimulation?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Isolate or Stimulate?

(said in Bjork accent) Everything is music! You must surround yourself with all the good vibrations of this vast world to make muuuuuzik!
70%
Lock yourself in a bunker 10 feet underground and don't come out until you've re-written music history.....or maybe got a good snare sound
30%

Total votes: 10

ottokbre
deaf.

Songwriting: Isolation or Stimulation?

Post by ottokbre » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:26 pm

So, I was just reading this book by Stephen King called Stephan King on Writting; a Memior or the Craft. (the irony being that I've never read a single King novel!)

Anyways, he was talking about, at least when starting out, writing in complete isolation. As if there is nothing to interact with your mind, therefor you become more creative and let your thoughts wander more.

I was wondering you think the same is true with music writting.

As a backdrop to this open question, I've just moved and my new place has a view and is a lot more comfy. I find myself, guitar on my lap, staring outside more than playing. Go figure, maybe it's still the novelty of the place.
boobs are life's fountain

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: Songwriting: Isolation or Stimulation?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:57 pm

King probably just locks himself in the vault and frolics naked in all his money for inspiration.

I guess to answer the real question, to get a good idea I need stimulation, but to get it in any kind of finished form or on tape I like as few distractions as possible.

One thing that has given me the biggest kick in the ass as a songwriter is going to open mics, and frankly it's because some of the stuff I hear is so awful that it makes me get off my ass and finally put down the ideas I've kicking around. I figure they still suck, but they can't suck THAT much. Yes, I am an asshole :oops:
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:51 pm

I'm with marqueemoon - I need to keep myself open to stimulus until I get the hook to hang everything else on.

then I need to put my head down and ignore all until I figure out everything else.

ie. - I'll have a vague idea for a song, and will let it simmer until I get part of a lyric - some phrase that sounds good and can relate to the idea. then I go from that and piece together part of a verse or chorus, and keep working on it until I build the whole thing.

or vice versa - I'll hear a word or phrase that triggers an association or idea for a song, but same thing - once I get that connection, I have to shut everyhting else down and work it out. and I have to get the whole thing down pronto - the stuff that I leave partially done usually never gets finished.

good book, whether you're a King fan or not.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:00 pm

For me: both

Isolation will eventually lead me to be more creative, focused and original, but I usually starting getting dark, detached, and weird at some point(which can be good for some stuff). Less likelihood of plagiarism, but also very little likelihood of direct, healthy influence.

Stimulation is good for collaboration, and is perhaps more conducive to absorbing new sounds or ideas based on location, culture, personalities, and music being listened to in this environment. But it is also easier to become distracted from the task at hand and wind up naked in the woods drinking sangria with Spanish girls at dawn. Stimulation seems to demand more discipline.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:06 am

Neither. Both! Shit - I dunno. What was the question again? Okay - the non-isolation option. I write and record in the thick of shit - whilst the dust and grind of the banausic goes off around me. Meals being cooked, phones ringing, post-ladies delivering eBay prizes. All that shit and the rest of it goes straight to tape. How could it not? My 424, 1604 and the odd bits of out-board I've got, are all in the living room, which opens straight onto the path outside. I like it this way. Shit - I even love it like this! '03 was a right laugh for me - loads and loads of recording got done. Some straight to stereo cassette (bless the Yamaha KX580!!), and some to the 4 track. Oh - I've had a great time. It's been a pisser.

I have just one thing to say - Bob Pollard. What an inspiration. Vampire on fucking Titus!!!

"Drank a quart of brotherly love!"

Yeah Bob. That stuff's fucking ace!! I love it all. Pollard has two large wedges of prolific pie all down his Christmas sweater. And, in a sense, who can blame him?!?

Best song ever - Motor Away. Motor Afuckingway!!! What a beaut. Moremoremoremoremoremoremoremoremore. Always more.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:23 am

Stimulation, followed by isolation. It's the only way. If you go with isolation only, you keep writing the same novel about an unspeakable evil lurking in a small town in Maine.

And you have to become an alcoholic fourth-grade teacher to write a record as good as Vampire on Titus!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:54 am

inverseroom wrote:And you have to become an alcoholic fourth-grade teacher to write a record as good as Vampire on Titus!
Hey. I'm halfway there. :jazzman:

:-)
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

DarkMoon
studio intern

Post by DarkMoon » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:47 am

Stimulation followed by isolation...
"Do you know how to clean sounds? It's a filthy business. Stretching them out is cleaner; indexing them is a meticulous task and needs good eyesight. Here, we are in the realm of pyrophony."
-Erik Satie

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:40 am

I remember reading an interesting quote from Steve Cropper of Booker T & The MGs, basically along the lines of saying that they would be going to all these funky Memphis parties and backyard barbeques, and hanging out in the Stax record shop, and that the soulful vibes and energy of all that fun stuff spilled over into the music they created, it was a non-stop continuous thing where they would go from a party straight into the studio, cut an Otis Redding or Sam & Dave track, then go out afterwards, repeated day after day. So I guess that's a vote for stimulation.

Then again, I've always been a fan of the Jimmy Page black magic "kick everyone out of the studio for three days while I do the secret guitar overdubs" sort of thing. Also love the stories about people (Michael Stipe, Van Morrison, etc.) coming into the studio, cutting one amazing vocal take and then splitting.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:05 am

DarkMoon wrote:Stimulation followed by isolation...
Exactly how I've written anything. Seems like, particularly for lyrics, you write them to say what you wouldn't or couldn't say to someone in conversation. Then again, Portland bars seemed to work well, so long as no one knew what I was doing.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:03 am

STIMULATION! I can't work on my own. I've been trying to force myself for the past two weeks. The other guitarist in my group split, and my ideas split with him. FUCKER! On my own, I have NOTHING. Anytime I'm jamming with someone it's like the fucking floodgates opened in music heaven and rammed a song so far up my ass it hit my brain, then it splashed backwards and came out through my hands. WHAM! That's so great when you're just jamming and you come up with the GREATEST RIFF EVER! Then it becomes the GREATEST SONG EVER! Then you forget it the instant you stop. FUCK! That's why I took to recording jam sessions ALL THE TIME. :lol:
Heurh!

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:08 am

I like to spend 3 hours in the basement trying to figure the first 15 seconds out of a new song.. get it recorded... spend 3 more hours seeing if I like it and trying to add to it... and then deleting it. getting no where.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:31 am

both
in order to write songs you have to input music and words etc....then in isolation you hear the reflections of what you heard and read..

a lot of times I'm listeng to music in the car and have to turn it off as i'm getting inspired.

I used to think after I wrote a good song I would never write again
but if you keep listening to tons of different stuff and reading lots of books you'll never run out of gas....

It's part of being an artist..there are things you do on a daily basis that fuel the writing process..and if you do them for a long enough time the songs will come....some easily and some have a difficult birth and have to go thru many changes....
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3