Multimeter, soldering and making cables ??????

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Multimeter, soldering and making cables ??????

Post by newguy12 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:17 pm

So I finally bit the bullet and instead of playing the guessing game while making cables I decided to get a multimeter so I could check my work. Anyway, after playing with it for a while I discovered a few things that in my own ignorance were a bit puzzeling. In the past, when making XLR cables I've always soldered the ground to pin 1, and then the other two cables to pin 2 and 3 making sure that each wire is soldered to the same pin on both connectors. Anyway, I was checking a cable I made and checking a premade cable I bought from a store and when I used the continuity checker on my cable when I placed one lead on pin 1 on the first connector and then tested the other connector with the other lead, when it was touched to the other pin 1 it beeped and registered it as short but was fine with pins 2 and 3. Then still with the cable I made when I moved the first lead to pin 2 and used the other lead on the other connector, pins 1 and 2 were fine but pin 3 was short and when I moved the first lead to pin 3 pins 1 and 3 were fine but 2 was short. I didn't think the ground was supposed to short out but everything else was the same as I predicted.

However, when I tested the store bought cable my confusion really set in. The ground tests were the same but when I placed one lead on pin 2, and the other lead on the other connector 1 and 3 were fine and 2 was short and with the first lead on pin 3, pins 1 and 2 were fine but 3 came up as being short. Does this mean I screwed up or is the store bought cable out of phase? Also pins 1,2 and 3 what do they correspond to on a TRS cable, I'm assuming 1 = sleave but what about 2 and 3? I think thats all of my questions, I apologize for the long and confusing post but any help would be really great.

smojo
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Multimeter, soldering and making cables ??????

Post by smojo » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:27 pm

waaay to out of it to decipher most of that... but:

T=tip=hot
R=ring=neutral
s=sleeve=ground

i'll read the rest and respond again sans hangover

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:05 am

make sure you're actually reading the numbers next to the pins. i know on the switchcraft plugs that i use the positions are reverved for the male and female(for pin 2 & 3...just because you're soldering to what you think is the same connector on each end doesn't make it so unless it says so.
sorry if i'm pointing out the obvious, but i hope this helps.

thanks,
todd

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:16 am

The store-bought cable is correct, YOUR cable was out of phase.

Don't be confused by the word "short" from your meter. When you're using a continuity setting on the meter to test a cable you want it to beep (and show a "short") when connecting matching pins (pin 1 to pin 1 should beep, pin 2 to pin 2 should beep, etc). So if you had pin 2 to pin 3 beeping, that wouldn't be right.

As todd mentioned, actually read the little pin numbers on the connector. The male and female connectors will look backwards when soldering, because they have to turn around and match front-to-front.

As far as TRS connections go:
Pin 1 -> ground -> Sleeve
Pin 2 -> hot -> Tip
Pin 3 -> cold -> Ring
except that some companies (or product lines within a company) use Pin 3 hot and Pin 2 cold on an XLR!

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:38 am

BTW,

The meter can only tell whether the electricity can get from "here" to "there". If you wanted electricity to be able to go between those two points, then you've got "continuity". If you didn't want electricity to be able to do that, then you've got a "short".

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:22 pm

Scodiddly wrote:The store-bought cable is correct, YOUR cable was out of phase.

Don't be confused by the word "short" from your meter. When you're using a continuity setting on the meter to test a cable you want it to beep (and show a "short") when connecting matching pins (pin 1 to pin 1 should beep, pin 2 to pin 2 should beep, etc). So if you had pin 2 to pin 3 beeping, that wouldn't be right.

As todd mentioned, actually read the little pin numbers on the connector. The male and female connectors will look backwards when soldering, because they have to turn around and match front-to-front.

As far as TRS connections go:
Pin 1 -> ground -> Sleeve
Pin 2 -> hot -> Tip
Pin 3 -> cold -> Ring
except that some companies (or product lines within a company) use Pin 3 hot and Pin 2 cold on an XLR!

Shure done exactly that back in the eighties with their Unidyne b mic, it was a pain in the arse if you forgot the lead for it!, can i borrow yours?...oh it doesnt work with mine.. Aaaaaah!!!! :twisted: