Brent Averill 1272 DIFFERENCE

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Brent Averill 1272 DIFFERENCE

Post by MusicMan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:24 pm

I was looking on the Brent Averill website because I was intersted in getting a 1272 mic pre - HOWEVER I am a bit confused at what he has to offer.

There is a 1272 for $1,859.00 Two channel with power supply and what seems to be the same thing for $1,659.00 ???

I have read the descriptions on both and they look to me to be the same thing but one is $200 more. WHY?

If anyone out there has any info on the difference in them please let me know. THanks a lot.

Mark.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Re: Brent Averill 1272 DIFFERENCE

Post by mysteriousmammal » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:29 pm

The cheaper pre is Brent Averill's recreation of a 1272. The more expensive is an actual neve card racked by Brent Averill.

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:32 pm

If you read a little closer, it says

$1,859.00 Two channel with power supply (when available)
$1,659.00 Two channel w/o power supply (second pair) (when available)

The power supply is $200

-Zach

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:02 pm

thanks.

Well I see that is says: power supply (when available) BUT I do not see anywhere about a power supply being $200.

But I will take another look.

How does his copy sound compared to the real thing? Is it really worth the extra $400 to get the higher priced one or is the difference slight and something you might not even be able to hear?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:34 pm

The part about "when available" means the actual Neve parts. He's got a lot on his website that says "when available" simply because he's dealing in semi-hard-to-find vintage parts. It's also getting a bit more difficult for him as a retailer to find parts that he can turn around and sell at a reasonable price. I imagine this is part of the reason why he's stared building clones.

I have a couple of his (actually, Avedis,' who works for Brent) API 2520 opamp replacements and when I had them installed, my 550As had never sounded better. All this vintage stuff sounds different due to how it ages. Although I haven't had an untouched Neve unit next to one of his clones, I imagine the differences wouldn't be any greater than that of two untouched vintage Neve units side by side.

I also can't think of anyone who's probably had their hands on as many Neve guts as Brent and his guys. That'd be enough to sell me on it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:37 am

a collector factor factors in...sonically i'd call up and ask them their opinion...they're honest...that's the best thing about that place is you can trust them...that's why i bought from them...

that said i'm sonically still not overly thrilled with the 1272's...i mean they are cool for electric guitars and some horns but for that kinda bread...yeowsers...obviously personal opinion from an 8 track mind...

Mike

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:38 pm

that $200 power supply is just a $40 power one in a box. If it were me buying that, Id buy them w/o the supply then take $200 and have a tech build you a supply with really good filtering that will outpreform the powerone that is in that little grey hammond box. I was never really happy with the neve EQ's I had purchased from averill. The rack was beautiful but they just sounded flat and stiff. I changed the power supply and nearly fell over. Also, word to the wise, if you view your expenses on this gear as any kind of investment, now that BA is doing homebrew and neve racking, its likely worth the dough to get the neve parts if you plan on holding on to it for a few years, the neve parts will always get you a better return on your dough than their homebrew amps will down the line. The avedis homebrew might actually sound better than the real neve part, but thats a different discussion. Whatever you do, change the supply, you'll be psyched.

dave

doty
gettin' sounds

Post by doty » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:15 pm

dave

who makes custom power supplies, because i have been looking at the BA neve pres too. just really no one in the IOWA that i know of to build a custom power supply.

thanks jason

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Thanks again for the info - I wish I knew how yo build stuff!

Well I don't know if I do want to drop that much on a pre so to cut some cost I was thinking of going with the Vintech - Is this a dramatic DOWNGRADE as far as sound goes or would this be a good call on my part to save some cash but still get a good sounding Neve?

Well any opinions on this would be cool -

Mark.

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Post by MusicMan » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Oh yea DAVE (soundguy) I just got you message in my inbox and I will write back when I got some extra time -

Later,Mark.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:23 pm

The Vintech's are great. They do sound different than the BA models. The BA models are very, very dark. The Vinnies are a bit less dark, but still have that Neve sound. I LOVE mine on kick and snare. Also guitar amps. For these 3 things, I've just about stopped trying other options...no matter which mic I use.
But, I'm about to order some OPA preamps, so the Neve clone might have some competition with some API clones in the room.
later,
m