What Did You Work On Today? 1-04-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 1-04-04

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:02 pm

What did you work on today?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 1-04-04

Post by Quest Poetics » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:14 pm

I finally got around to getting this drum and bass drummer in my studio to record a ton of loops for me to write to...He was amazing! Thanks for asking....Anyone else?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 pm

Made quickie cassette copies of some rough mixes for a trio I've been working with - 2 guitars and female vox. Nice stuff.

Did some cleaning and re-wiring (un-wiring?)

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:41 pm

worked on a project and got one or the coolest guitar sounds.

old airline electric...mutron phaser.....telefunken v72 direct....spectrasonics610 (knobs all the way up for max distortion)....tape

fucked up sound galore!
its on like donkey kong!!!!

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:00 pm

Edited some vox tracks.

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:01 pm

i worked on packing up my old mixer that i sold on ebay.

Matt.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:11 pm

made a speaker mic from a 4" woofer, and it seems to work, but we haven't had a chance to test it out on a kick drum yet.

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:23 pm

today was one of those days that I worked my knukles to the bone, but am thrilled that I get to do this as a job. I met my friends at 10am for breakfast, hit the studio and recorded one song. (all the mics were still setup from a previous session). Everybody else listened to the previous sessions while I packed up the remote recording stuff for a remote job.

I went to the remote job, a post-christmas christmas concert, all the local church choirs singing a few songs each, then all singing together for a few songs. I'm not exactly the church going type, but it was all good. The computer f'd up all over the place, but I did learn that you can accidentally set the L2 limiter's digital output to 24 bits and the cd burner's digital in can figure it out and record it as a 16 bit disc. I damn near had a heart attack when I looked down (after wasting 20 minutes of the show trying to get the computer to behave) and saw that the dig, out was set to 24bits. I was a little worried the rest of the recording as I have been bitten by wrong sample rates before. That would be a fantastic phone call, "I'm sorry, yeah, the recording? The computer didn't work, and then I screwed up the back-up, too..." The best part about this job is that the church is in the back of my studio. I didn't even put my stuff in my car. I walked out of the studio, walked into the parking lot, past my car, across the parking lot, into the church.

After that, I ate dinner on the fly while loading old files from an archive DVD back onto the studio's regular computer (the remote recording computer got to sit in the corner with the dunce cap on) so that a band that was going to meet me later could listen to some old tracks. They had an LP come out last year, and it is being re-released on CD, but they wanted a fresh CD for mastering, and an extra track tacked on as an out-take.

Now I'm checking the tapeop board, checking the email and crawling home to bed. I've been working for 14 hours now and I'm all cranked up. Awesome day. This makes up for the crappy days where I didn't have much going on and read these types of threads about other people's awesome days.

jerrymac

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:49 pm

I recorded three of the best drummers from the west coast all playing together. It's really cool and crazy at the same time! I won't say who it was! 18 tracks into Digi001 - about 3 hours of solid playing already. The goal is to hit 120 GB in a few days, then we're done!
LC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:50 pm

Worked on the "wingdale community singers" which is the unofficial name of David Grubbs, Hannah Marcus, and Rick Moody. I actually wound up playing drums on four of the songs. Totally weird. Fun, but weird. The wingdale stuff is absolutely great, honest songwriting well executed by three people absolutely devoid of affectation.

(wow I should write their bio, if rick moody wasnt an amazing writer anyway...)

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:07 pm

I made a wicked ass club sandwich, then wrote some lyrics. Not about the sandwich, though.
I am wangtacular.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:13 pm

You know Bear, that reminds me--I did a session today with some guys who recently did a gig in the Virgin Islands. They told me that when they were there, they "saw some wild ass shit." Then they "saw some wild ass." Turns out they were walking along and stumbled (not literally) across some huge piles of donkey turd out in the wilderness. Then they saw the donkeys. So they really did see some wild ass shit, follwed by some wild ass. They should probably write a song about it.

Chris

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:50 pm

i fixed the rattle on the leslie side of my hammond commodore organ (currently residing at Inner Ear). it was a loose screw.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:58 pm

Just my own stuff on the 424. The band's called Full Crumb and I finished most of the guitars and backing vocals for Severed Vandal Teeth (the first Full Crumb full-lengther). It's essentially psycho-pop, but with added disasterousness. Basically it's designed to tear people's hearts and minds apart, and to cause perdition and abject misery to a very large and psehpologically crucial aspect of the West's reactionary forces. So it's pretty fucking cool, y'know. And if you're not humming along halfway through the first listen it's cos the roar of tinnitus has finally overtaken your poor, addled brains.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

jaredbyline
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jaredbyline » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:01 am

I recorded some guitar and synth tracks for my band. It's my 3rd recording in history, and my first on my 388. I'm having a really great time trying things out, but, damn, this can be really really trying sometimes. Especially when you think about recording like a guitarist and not an engineer: i.e. while tracking drums only "think" about that vocal cue you use and forget to make a fake cue throwing everyone off, everytime. :( I'm allowed to make mistakes right?