What Did You Work On Today? 1-04-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bigtoe
deaf.

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 1-04-04

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:34 am

Slingset wrote:hey bigtoe - i think you'll dig nuendo! It's the shit.
it's completely mind-boggling so far!

Mike

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:42 am

bigtoe wrote:

Mike
Michael - turn back while there is still time.

*portentous voice of doom*
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:45 am

Kevin Kitchel wrote:http://sauron666.cjb.net/
:?:
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:08 pm

bobbydj wrote:
bigtoe wrote:

Mike
Michael - turn back while there is still time.

*portentous voice of doom*
haha! i'll tell ya bobby - it is fun! painful at times but that's more the learning curve part in seeing what sucks and whatnot - like besides ourselves that is! it sounds a bit funky (no board) but we're gonna keep at it...yesterday was just trying stuff out...we're gonna start getting more intense on it over the next month...

Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:21 pm

First i worked the tofu scrambler and fed my head.

then MORE rough mixes... i really need to get the bass issues in my project studio/rehearsal space resolved. But i'm still enjoying this band i'm working with even though i've listened to the songs many many times... still not sick of them and still exciting.

Then, worked with balancing, EQ'ing, enhancing, a Legendary Pink Dots cover for my friend who rehearses down the hall. The way this guy records himself and his band is really really cool. total total DIY, using his 4 track preamps into his CD recorder. Take that CD, insert into another CD Deck, run that into two of the 4 preamps and record two more tracks through the remaining preamps into the CD recorder, repeat as necessary. The results he gets really work well. Its fun, cause he'll be doing that next door, and i'll be working on mixes in protools and we'll hang out and give each other ideas and suggestions.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:57 pm

finished a marathon weekend at a new space. first time engineering out of another room - though i was using all my own stuff... a huge PITA moving everything, but it's really amazing how you can do the exact same things technique wise in a good room that you've always done in your shitty room, and it just sounds all of a sudden like you really know what you're doing. awesome.

against my will - the guy i was recording convinced me to put tons of crazy effects on his vocals. initially he wanted FLANGE. i was able to make a compromise and got them to the effect he wanted, without sounding completely retarded. it turned out good - i *never* would have done it on my own - i'm glad he forced me. a wierd "killing an arab" sound. initially i was like, i can't let him ruin his record like that..... but, he ended up being right!

9 songs in 2 days: a new record for me. 12 tracked on sat. this guy had his shit down as far a preproduction goes. also recorded baby grand piano for the first time.

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:25 pm

On 1-04-04 I played with a tapeloop that I made from a teach yourself to speak Italian record.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:02 pm

This Sunday I determined that the overdubs I recorded last Sunday were all utter crap and erased most of them.

Then I did the brakes on my car so I can live long enough to try again next Sunday.

cv

Schwilly
studio intern

Post by Schwilly » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:13 am

i tracked out a live show
damn quarter started today
stealth master schwilly

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:25 am

deharmonic wrote:
Kevin Kitchel wrote:http://sauron666.cjb.net/
:?:
Thats the website of the band I mixed.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:10 pm

Sunday 1/04: Wife, dog and I went for a hike in the snow. It was beautiful. It rarely snows around here, we went into the hills about 10 minutes from home, ended up staying out for like 6 hours and getting home after dark, completely exhausted.

Acually got back to audio stuff today, mixing a jazz piano trio CD in Logic, everything sounds good, but I can't seem to get the reverb (using UAD DreamVerb) dialed in. DreamVerb is definitely the best 'verb I have, soft or hard, but I'm not really familiar with it yet. I usually don't mix with much 'verb, but the client wants it.

Just had a really great tuna sandwich. MMMMM

-Dave

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:32 pm

it's 1-6-04 now & I didn't do much today...I had a 3 song demo I did for a band mastered somewhere else today. It was the 1st time a recording of mine has been masterered. The band was happy, I was happy. It's really cool to a/b my mix with the mastered one. They did a great job making it sound better. Even though I didn't do the mastering, for some reason after hearing it I feel more "pro" now.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:17 pm

headache9 wrote:Even though I didn't do the mastering, for some reason after hearing it I feel more "pro" now.
Congratulations. Pro mastering rocks! Went to a mastering session today, actually.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:44 pm

Finished a 2 week album project for Martyr A.D. who are on Victory records out of Chicago. A great hardcore/metal/punk Minneapolis band with lots of double kick and great riffs. Mastered the record today. Its always a great feeling finishing an album and the band is happy. Todd F.
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:44 pm

It's the 7th. On the 4th I was doing pre-production for a local band and recording their rehearsal with my mobile Pro Tools rig. We'll have studio time, sometime between these live dates at the end of the month. Yesterday, I was retrieving hip/hop tracks from deep in the hood with my mobile Pro Tools rig. Pistols and all, hilarious. Tomorrow, I'll be comping vocals and finishing the last mix of another project I have on the go right now of what promised to be the next 'Nirvana'. Too many variables to get into on that- most all of them related to money and an exceptionally (loose) and impatient band. Not capable of playing tightly enough live, they are legends in their own mind until they get some more experience under their belts. Band has attitude, but if it doesn't come from the singer- it's not going to get done. Megalomaniac that he is, he can't let go of the material enough to allow for band collaboration. Footnote, the singer doesn't work, doesn't have a car and doesn't go to school. The singer essentially does nothing- ALL DAY! Prognosis, band will break up within a year. Thursday, delivery of rehearsal monitor mixes and new 5-song budget for the first band mentioned along with beginning mixing the rap tracks. Saturday, likely travelling back into the hood with my mobile Pro Tools rig to play the mixes for da boys. Sunday, another day of pre-production for the earlier mentioned band. Next week, checking out another local act live to discuss saving their self-produced mess. Indeed, my plate is as full as my hard drives right now.