I Don't think I'm even DREAMING of a Neumann U47 anymore.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thereminman
takin' a dinner break

I Don't think I'm even DREAMING of a Neumann U47 anymore.

Post by thereminman » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:06 am

set up:
Ok, when the holiday season rolls along, and having practiced sinced childhood to lust after toys in the Sears catalogue, and having taken this habit into adulthood---only it's no longer that super Hotwheels set that's the shining out-of-reach toy, but now expensive recording gear....

For a few seconds I was dreaming of a Neumann U47--the classic tube mic that folks like Geoff Emerick uses habitually.
I then did some research on the net, and kind of realized....it's like having an old car...not only are they terrrrrrribly expensive, but most of them need expensive upkeep (dried up old capacitors, worn/dirty capsules) etc
NOW HERE'S THE QUESTIONS:

So, there ARE a number of these mics in the world still, yes?
Do only the super-rich get to use them, or are there like 4 studios in every city that have one or two?
Even if you use one in a studio, do you think it's up to it's 1965 or whatever
specs?

bonus questions:
Does that fancy new...(is it K49?) Neumann tube mic a worthy successor?(I think it's still at the Mercedes like price point of about 5 grand)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: I Don't think I'm even DREAMING of a Neumann U47 anymore

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:20 am

Lots of vintage stuff has gone through the roof in the last 10 years.
Having a million people fiend over a 67 or a 47 makes them outrageously expensive.

I have used them a bunch (47) and I personally would never pay the kind of money people seem to be asking for even a beat up 47.

Frig that. They are not the holy grail. I think its like this:

Expensive gear is used in the making of expensive records. Expensive records are made by people that SOMEONE has deemed worthy of making an expensive record.

The good people get to make expensive records and make other people think that the gear has some secret magic that only rich people are allowed to access...

When I see an amazing singer like ella fitzgerald in a picture singing into a ribbon mic....

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:39 am

I've had good experience with both 67 and 47 and C12. the 47 was modded though..I think most vintage mics have had something done to them. I hope so, because all original is a recipe for disaster.

Then we demo'd some soundelux mics, and the 251 (I think) overshadowed the C12. The 47 got used on bass a lot, but not really vocals. 67 was hit or miss depending. It's all circumstantial.
But for the price of one, you could get two mics that are just as good and with longer shelf life.

But then you can't say "I have a 47"

BUT, if you have a 47, and your records still suck, then you have no excuse!
Last edited by Electricide on Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:01 am

I would love a 47, just not at the current super inflated prices.
I have a bunch of really nice mics, and a studer A827, and, and ,and...

I still cant say "I have a 47" as a freelance engineer. (unless I put FET before the numbers).

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:17 am

All I'm dreaming of is having a nice sounding room, so that I can hear what the fuck I'm doing.. All an expensive mic or pre is gonna do right now is show me just how bad the sound in my room is.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:49 pm

joeysimms wrote:All I'm dreaming of is having a nice sounding room, so that I can hear what the fuck I'm doing.. All an expensive mic or pre is gonna do right now is show me just how bad the sound in my room is.
BINGO
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:02 pm

The Soundelux E47 will give you the sound you want, + it's brand new, less expensive, more reliable blah blah blah.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Luv one too, but overly expensive.

Al

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:25 pm

Al wrote:Luv one too, but overly expensive.

Al
Yeah they do cost a bit, but not nearly as much as a decent Neumann/Telefunken U47 goes for.

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:04 pm

This was my reasoning in deciding to go with AEA ribbon mics rather than take a chance on old RCA ribbons from eBay. Yeah, I paid more money, but I know that what I got are excellent products needing no repairs or mods.

For new Neumann large diaphragms, I have heard that the M149 is stellar.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:02 pm

I'm primarily a drummer, as my main instrument, so I always gravitate towards the mics that work on drums. An U47fet being the pinnacle of kick drum micing. But, come on....that kind of money for a kick mic? I'm happy with my RE20, D112 and MD421 for now. But, given that there are plenty of 47 clones out there now, has anyone really compared them all to each other? I wonder if the AT4047 is even in the ball park. It's the one mic out of the 40 series that EVERYONE raves about. I have a 4050 and 4040 and really hate to get another AT 40 series mic as I feel like I'm getting too many of one brand, but if it's close to a real U47, then I just might. I think some of the Soundelux mics are probably great, but they're in that $1500+ range. If I'm paying that much, I want it to say Neumann on the side.
later,
m

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:24 pm

The Soundelux ifet7 and U195 are both great for kik. For me I don't care what it says on the mic as long as it's delivering the sound. If you're more of a commercial studio then I could understand the reasoning for name recognition. IMO, Soundelux is the new Neumann, at least the Neumann of old.

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:52 pm

I am lucky and get to use a 1959 U48. Sounds great but can act up on occasion. We were able to get Sheryl Crow for a 3 day session because we had this mic and it was her fav at the time. So it works for us. Todd F.
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:58 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:I wonder if the AT4047 is even in the ball park.
Not on kick by itself. It's a cool mic, though and it rocks on a floor tom, sort of like a very clean, high output version of an FET 47. There's just something about it on kick and bass amps that's not the same. It will do similar things on kick in conjunction with another mic that an FET will.

I love mine and don't regret buying it at all, even though I was hoping for the same thing you are. I still use it a lot for certain male vocals (more I ever have used an FET 47 for the same) and it sounds great on a guitar amp, like an FET 47, only less noisy and higher gain. A little brighter than the FET on acoustic guitar and not nearly as cool on grand piano.

Even if it's not an FET 47, I'm a big fan of the AT 40-series and they did great with this one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:40 pm

That's what bothers me with all the clone or reissue mics....they all sound brighter. I sorta don't want that. Not in every single mic anyway. It seems like that's all there is to choose from.
For the price, I'm sure I'll get a 4047 though one of these days.
later,
m