interpol record

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
d-bolan
gettin' sounds

interpol record

Post by d-bolan » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:59 am

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the interpol record. I really like this album, and I really love the way it was recorded. The delay on the guitars remind me of old U2 recordings, and I love and the drums, bass, and vocals a lot too. Oh and the reverbs/////,man oh man....very nice, very appropriate. Thanks

danny
call me rabbit fighter

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: interpol record

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:15 am

molokoplus wrote:this is where 'turn on the bright lights' was done. on a neotek console, no less.

this record is so damned analog sounding ... and so many of the guitar reverbs are just the built-in spring tanks on the amps.

i think the delays on some songs on the record are the Loft 450 delay. i have one and cannot say enough good things about how it sounds.

to me interpol is kind of a cure, joy division, chameleons, smiths sandwich - but with a slightly more testosterone laden rhythm section ... and great live, too
Agreed. They have a dose of Mancfester in 'em and no mistake. But can I ask - what's the significance of a Neotek console?

(Actually I wish the Joy Division stuff sounded as good as TOtBL)
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:41 am

molokoplus wrote:Great record, man. i wore it out last year .. and it still holds up.

check this out:
http://www.tarquinrecords.com/studio/index.html

this is where 'turn on the bright lights' was done. on a neotek console, no less.

this record is so damned analog sounding ... and so many of the guitar reverbs are just the built-in spring tanks on the amps.

i think the delays on some songs on the record are the Loft 450 delay. i have one and cannot say enough good things about how it sounds.

to me interpol is kind of a cure, joy division, chameleons, smiths sandwich - but with a slightly more testosterone laden rhythm section ... and great live, too .. they got the shaft when they played letterman. i've worked on all the late night shows and know first hand that those bastards in the control room at major networks can't mix for shit.

cheers
marc
i see the raymont scott orchestrette recorded there...not a huge fan of them, but the stuff raymond scott did was amazing...be sure to check out http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 45-4215210 -> that cd is wonderous and to think he built all those old synths...it amazes me, even in todays standards...

enjoy,
mat

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:28 pm

Thanks for that. It's a great big, exciting sound on TOTBL, for sure. The drums're muscular as hell - tough and tight. Personally I was wondering if that was Distressors on the go there. Any thoughts on that? Or are you hearing hot tape and 1176? I dunno. This kind of kit is as far out of my reach as Rolls Royce and Daimler, really. Killer sounds there though.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

object88
takin' a dinner break

Late Night with Bad Engineers!

Post by object88 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:02 pm

molokoplus wrote:i've worked on all the late night shows and know first hand that those bastards in the control room at major networks can't mix for shit.
Man, I'm glad to hear someone else shares my opinion of Late Show band mixing. Thought my ears must have been fooling me, or it was the TV, or something. About a year ago I stopped listening altogether; I could hardly stand to listen to those performances, and from some great groups. I keep hoping its improved...

Sorry for the OT.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:39 pm

I have just gotten into this record recently. I like about half of it. There are some great songs and some ok songs. I do like the sound of it too except for the kick sound. I know, I know, who cares? Just listen and enjoy. But this is a recording forum and for once, I'm going to pick a knit.

The sound of the kick drum is so buttrock, Limp Biznatch, shitty metal sounding. Very clicky and distracting. And it sounds nothing like the rest of the kit. I've never liked the super hyped clicky kick that is so prevalent on comtempory rock records. I understand the need for such a sound, what with 7 string guitars and slapping/popping 5 string bass players, the kick needs to cut through. But on the Interpol record, there isn't any need for such a clicky sound.

This is just my opinion. This record is good and best of luck to the band.

Just my 2 cents.

Shawn

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:01 am

I really love this band, but I've never cared for the quality of the recording. It sounds like it was done in about seven differant studios too. Good call on the kick Shawn. Your absolutly right. I really dig their Drummer too. He hits Big Band style, which seems to be pretty vouge right now.
boobs are life's fountain

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:28 am

I like the kick.
I can't comment on a specific track because I don't have the Cd with me. I haven't listened to it for a little while, but I remember really likeing the CD because of the REverb use and the drum sounds.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:18 am

ott?kbre wrote:He hits Big Band style, which seems to be pretty vouge right now.
What do you mean? Does he play traditional grip, or do you mean he doesn't hit like a rock drummer?

The only thing that really bugs me about the drum sound is that rack tom. It's just this weird, round "bonk" sound. The clicky kick drum is a little weird, but to me it works. It almost sounds like they treated the higher and lower frequencies of the kick separately. There's one song (I can't remember which) where the attack and resonance of the drum seem to have kind of an unnatural time relationship. That or all the frequencies right below the click have just been decimated.

I dig all the crazy breaths on the vocals.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:32 am

I'm not a drummer, so this is definatly speaking out of my arse, but it seems its more than just a vintage vibe. Guys are hitting toms hard, but playing jazzy off the snare and showing some restraint with the Hi-Hat. You never hear that rock-tripplet-fill anymore. The snare is quick and musical, not thundering and no one is using a gate-verb anymore. I guess it's more of a '60s thing with everyone using Ringo-esque kits, not really Roto-kings so I guess the Big Band comment is misguided. The Walkmen come to mind, but thats also a recording style.
boobs are life's fountain

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Late Night with Bad Engineers!

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:09 pm

object88 wrote:Man, I'm glad to hear someone else shares my opinion of Late Show band mixing. Thought my ears must have been fooling me, or it was the TV, or something. About a year ago I stopped listening altogether; I could hardly stand to listen to those performances, and from some great groups. I keep hoping its improved...

Sorry for the OT.
Sorry for continuing OT, but man, have you heard that Letterman compilation that came out a few years ago? Holy shit!!!! These people make money doing this. I'm embarrased FOR them.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:42 pm

I am totally not hearing a clicky kick. My idea of a clicky kick is Grant Hart on Flip Your Wig (heck, everything), and - yeah - noo meckle cack. Those double kick sounds that go tap-tap-tap-tap, like your finger flicking a paper cup. Now that sound just ain't on the Interpol record. Heh heh - what the fuck do I care. The next album will probably be absolute fucking bollocks.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:11 pm

bobbydj wrote:I am totally not hearing a clicky kick.
Well... It's a click followed by a healthy whump.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!