Recording bass through a guitar amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jamoo
buyin' a studio

Recording bass through a guitar amp

Post by jamoo » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:00 pm

If the speaker is muted, is it o-kay to record bass through a guitar amp? (line or headphone out) Or, is there something about bass frequencies that play havoc on guitar amp circuitry? I know Fender Bassman's are used for guitar all the time, but haven't heard much about the other way 'round

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Recording bass through a guitar amp

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:04 pm

Well I have got good results with bass into a guitar amp and did not blow anything up..you could try it..listen to the speakers if they cant handle it..it will be very apparent by the fucked up noise of speaker not being able to cope..I think its more likely the speaker going kaput than the electronics..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:32 pm

there are people actually talking about this right now on pg.3 of the " in what ways can i make this bass sound better? " thread..FYI

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:21 pm

On Carol Kaye's web site, there's a photo of her in the studio laying down a bass track through either a Fender Super Reverb or Concert amp (4 10s). At low volume and close miking, it makes no difference whether it's a guitar amp or a bass amp. And if you're going direct, who cares?

That said, the tone shaping in the preamps will not be the same.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:58 pm

You won't get as much BASS, and you'll end up with a midrange heavy sound that's still very usable. Robert DeLeo used guitar amps for tracking a lot of STP stuff. It's just a different tone.

It's not likely that you'll hurt the amp. You have to be kind of light on the speakers, but not very. Don't let them distort and you'll be cool.
Heurh!

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:59 pm

I have used guitar amps for bass a lot. You can get some good sounds. The amps never were never driven hard. You could talk at regular conversation volume right near it.

I have had great luck with a Fender Champ. It sounded massive. It was at very low volume and had a c414 in front of it.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:09 pm

yep, i used a roland jazz chorus (2X12) to track bass and even gig in the 80's. i've been using a gibson falcon tube amp (1X12) most recently. very, very cool sound...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:31 pm

I love the sound of bass through a 4X12.

GROWL.

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:34 pm

I'm running my bass through an old Peavey Renown (how's that for shitty amps?) and my Jackson 4x12. It's actually pretty damn good.
Heurh!

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:37 pm

I recorded bass through a Kendrick practice amp. This tiny guy was a great little thing (borrowed). It only had a one knob which was both the power and volume. The speaker was 6", and the bass sound to tape was freaking great. Of course, to the ear, the sound wasn't that powerful, but it worked great in a straight-ahead rock mix.

PC

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:14 pm

Two words: FENDER PRINCETON.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:40 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I love the sound of bass through a 4X12.

GROWL.
I thought the growl came from the pickup next to the bridge, should you be so lucky to have one.

Well, sounds like no one has actually destroyed a guitar amp with a bass, so this is a good thing. I've reached the lifetime quote of stupid expensive mistakes. Learning experiences are o-kay, but no more dumbassness. Or is that dumbasshood?

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:06 am

2 of my favorite bass sounds I've ever gotten are both using guitar heads. I briefly used an Orange Graphic 120 through an Ampeg 8x10, and it sounded just lovely till the Orange died on me. I also ran a 2x15 with a Red Bear MK120... Oh what a lovely sound! I sold the Red Bear when I bought my current SVT3Pro, but once every now and then I kick myself for letting the Red Bear go.

Oh yeah, and 4x12's rock for bass. I think Mike Watt uses a Marshall half stack paired with an SVT rig... Cool sound.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:52 am

I used a little Peavey combo to re-amp a bass track once--the original track was too scooped, so we used the midrangey character of the guitar amp to give the bass some definition and bite. And a little distortion, which helped.

The Ampeg Reverbrocket I have is supposedly a "guitar" amp but sounds great with bass.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

matttherat
gettin' sounds

Post by matttherat » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:58 am

i was lucky enough to have my cool silvertone amp's two 12" speakers blown out by someone playing bass through it.

taught me to be careful with basses through guitar amps (especially old ones with delicate speaker cones) and even more careful about leaving gear at peoples' houses.