record using outboard pre-amps and no mixer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
zxcv
audio school graduate

record using outboard pre-amps and no mixer

Post by zxcv » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever recorded using multiple outboard pre's without touching a mixer. For example recording an entire drum kit with each mic going to a seperate pre-amp.

Would it work or would it just create a lot of hum between them all?

The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because I've been unable to settle on a mixer and the thought of using high quality pre-amps instead seems sort of appealing.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: record using outboard pre-amps and no mixer

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:59 pm

I don't see why hum would be any more of a problem that way as with using a mixer as long as everything is grounded, the power is clean, and the pres you're using are decent.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:03 pm

Sure you can do it. You won't have the luxury of using eq going to tape, but maybe you don't need it anyway. Really though, as nice as it is to have a bunch of really nice outboard preamps, most of us only have a few channels. Instead of spending $500-$1000 per channel on 8+ channels, why not just start with a decent board that gives you decent quality mic pres and eq as well. You also get the benefit of decent summing, which really isn't done too well in a DAW. I know you can find a used Soundcraft, A & H or other board for pretty cheap....heck, I even see Tridents and Amek boards going for around $3K or so. Even if you got a really old one and had to spend a grand getting it restored, you're still coming out ahead.
later,
m

thoe0034
audio school

Post by thoe0034 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:21 pm

Yes! It can be done and it is a great way to do it. For 1600$ you could have 8 channels of syteks which are pretty good sounding pres found at many high buck studios. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and how much gear you have already this could be the start of a pretty good home studio. Plus it is always smarter to spend your money on stuff that you are going to keep and grow with rather than on a iteam that you are going to sell for a loss a year from now. Good pres are something that are always good to have around a studio, any studio.

That said having a nice board, tridents, ameks ect as mentioned earlier is super nice too!

good luck to you
joe

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:31 pm

Yes it can be done and works very well but you will still need a board of some kind for monitoring (unless your recording into your computer and mixing internaly).

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:19 pm

Going straight to the computer you can still mix and send it out to your musicans if you hae a PCI-type setup like a MOTU 2408 that has latency-free software monitoring, which lets each musician have their own mix.

You could get a bank of 8 pres like the PreSonus DIgimax for general use...they sound clean and clear and uncolored. Just make sure you get something with built in limiters or insert for them, especially for doing drums, so they don't clip going in.

If you want a little more sauce, go for "channel strip" style preamps that have built-in compressors and EQ, and you're really good to go. I just bought an ART ProChannel for $389 and it ROCKS!
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

lunchboxaudio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lunchboxaudio » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:56 pm

zxcv-
i had been focusing on my outboard preamps over the past year...i've got some Telefunken, Langevin coming soon, a Sytek, some Altec...but despite the great sound of all these pres, and even with solid choices of micing with them, come mix time i need eq. i've gone direct through pres and converters ever since i started recording about 2 yrs ago.

but i'm starting to learn with experience that eq-ing in the box isn't doing it for me. surprisingly even a little inexpensive analog eq seems to go a long way in the mix, and the analog summing seems better than digital.

i've been doing mixes in the box lately, but have found that the mixes that left the digital realm for the mix always end up sounding better to me...

depending on your experience with eq too, you may want to start out not eq-much to tape and lock yourself in to a sound. that way you have more to work with at mix.

but ya, if it were me starting over, i second the thought of buying a board and augment with some outboard. those were good suggestions.

-r.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:18 pm

I havent tracked drums any other way in the last 8 years or so. If the grounding in your studio is done right, hum is a non issue. so long as you can figure out a monitor you can absolutely work as you described without a console.

dave

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:06 pm

that is the only way i track, i almost never use my board for anything but monitoring and mixing.

i wouldn't recommend buying a bunch of the same pres though. half the point of using outboard pres is to have some good variety...

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:07 pm

...and why is everyone assuming he's recording to a computer?

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:46 pm

because if he's not recording to a computer, then this scenario involves more problems than the ones we've mentioned. I was sort of assuming he'd at least thought that much through.
later,
m

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:41 pm

what other problems? that is the most straightforward approach available. mic, amp, recorder.

if you're using an analog device, you can just monitor off of it....

zxcv
audio school graduate

Post by zxcv » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:45 pm

I'll be recording to computer. Using different pre's as opposed to using all the same kind must have an interesting colorful sound I would think.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:34 am

If you happen to be using colorful pre's, sure. Not every preamp is "colorful".

dave

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:57 pm

if you're using an analog device, you can just monitor off of it....
Huh? How do you propose to sum all the outputs of the recorder to create a cue mix? The dude would have to wear like 12 cans all at the same time! That would sure look funny tho...

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson