TapeOp Con - Thank you!!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lsn110
steve albini likes it

TapeOp Con - Thank you!!!!

Post by lsn110 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:20 pm

Thank you Craig! Thank you Larry! Thank you everybody! It was incredible.

My only critical comment for next year...schedule a single "lunch" break. I "forgot" to eat cuz I ran from panel to panel. It probably doesn't matter as the panels I'll be at will run over anyhow (that's a good thing). :rofl:

Paul

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Re: TapeOp Con - Thank you!!!!

Post by prince turbo lung » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:05 pm

damn i wanted to go. the little sister got her college diploma last weekend and had to be there.

k
its on like donkey kong!!!!

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:15 pm

Since I didn't go either, I'd appreciate a full review from all that attended. Including, notes, photos, web-movies, and whatnot.

Seriously. Well, maybe half-seriously.

rasaban
audio school

Post by rasaban » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:04 pm

Well I got to spend about a half-day at the beautiful Portland Art Museum on sat. TapeOpCon was truly inspiring ..... Thanks again Craig
I just luvvv the Forum and the Magazine .... I already for N'Oleans next year ..........that will truly be off the hook.

Rasaban

thedug
steve albini likes it

Post by thedug » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:48 pm

I agree, tape op conn rocked!

I also agree, schedule a lunch and don't say "we got catoring" when you mean to say "we will have food for sale". :)
I think a cosession stand with more people working and more food options would have been nice. I was dizzy from lack of food at the end of both days. :)

d./

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:40 am

Another Awesome Conference!!!

Every year never siezes to amaze me :D

Panels were, as always, informative and personable.

The chairs were a little uncomfortable (after 6 hours of sitting :lol:), but that no ones fault.

All in all, it was worth every cent I spent :-)

Looking forward to New Orleans!

-Zach :jazzman:

j.hall
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by j.hall » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:10 am

this year the panels were 100 x better then last year!!!!

last year we had more time to eat!!

i was in "classes" for a good 12 hours on saturday....man that left me drained.....but i loved it

a lunch break would have been nice
but i wouldn't have traded any of the panels i went to for a lunch break

and thanks for having beer there
after about 9 hours of sitting and paying attention i really needed a beer to help me through the last few hours......

maybe the conference could start a little earlier on firday, that might give the whole schedule some more breathing room so you could add in a nice relaxing lunch break

next year i'll be interested to see if it spills into monday (memorial day)
i'd prefer that it didn't, since that would give me some time to get out and explore new orleans in the day light hours.....

GREAT CONFERENCE!!!!!!

for those of you who didn't go, i strongly urge you to do go next year

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:46 am

Thanks to everyone for coming, participating, and having fun. The energy was so positive and exciting I think we all ran on adrenalin for a few days.

In answer to a few "complaints/ideas" above, we didn't schedule a lunch break as there was so much to try and squeeze in. I'm not sure how it worked as I missed most every panel anyway, running around and all. Overall the conf seemed more informative to me than last year, and we plan to push that even further in New Orleans next year. Sorry about the folding chairs, next year's in a theatre and should have better acoustics and be more comfortable on yer ass. With 500+ people I'm trying to imagine how you imagine we'd feed everybody! We had a hell of a time getting any catering/food/beer in there as they wanted huge guarantees of sales and didn't believe they'd sell that much beer. Needless to say the catering company didn't complain at the end and the folks working for them loved how casual they could dress (nice Mercenary shirts!) and how easy we were to deal with as a group.

I'm interested in any ideas on how the conference could be improved, though please give it a little thought first (no, "I want food, beer, dancers, free mic pres and free hotel room for $50" shit). Email me direct with suggestions at larry@tapeop.com.

Realize that the larger we make this event the bigger the risk it is for us going in, especially for Craig, who would eat the cost if we tank. I don't want to get into specifics, but the rental of the venue this year was nearly double my annual studio rent - that's for 4 days!

Anyway, Craig and John and I had a brief meeting yesterday and it looks like it was an all-around success, and we plan to keep going with this. Could be a big deal one day, and many people are kicking themselves for missing the first two!!
Larry, still tired and need to shave... :D
Last edited by TapeOpLarry on Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:49 am

Yes! Great conference. All the panels were awesome (except one that was a joke) Great panelists with tons of info. Next year, how about the last panel of the conference be a "family fued" style brawl between the "anything over 16 tracks is ridiculous" guys and the "I mult out my kick drum and snare to 48 tracks with each having its own compressor and EQ" guys. Fight! Fight!

I second the lunch break idea. And man, those chairs were brutal (not anyone's fault, I know)

Thanks to everyone involved with putting it together. Great job!

Shawn

jazzchef
audio school graduate

Post by jazzchef » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:05 am

Thank you Tape Op team!

The conference was definitely a great success!
True audio fanatics in TapeOp.

Great job and again, thank you for making it all happen!

Moko

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:29 am

I had a great time, met some great people, and drank entirely too much. Had it not been for those uncomfortable chairs, I might have just nodded off from exhaustion.

Overall, it was very cool and inspiring. Thanks to everyone who worked their asses off to make it happen.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:08 pm

Shawn1272 wrote:All the panels were awesome (except one that was a joke)
Pray tell. Which one?!?! Inquiring minds want to know.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:18 pm

I got trapped behind a veritable wall of grannies in a "family of the bride" photoshoot on the first floor. They absolutely refused to let me passed, so they're gonna have an unidentified recording geek looking like he's taking a shit in the back row of their glamor shots.

They really tried to elbow my ass to the floor, xmas eve in the mall style.

Great conference, by the way. All we need next year are a few more beautiful women for parity's sake.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:44 pm

I am so sad that I missed the conf this year. :cry: I really wanted to go, but the wifey is just about ready to burst with our 1st baby.

That's way cool that next year is in the big easy. I love that place. Maybe we could have a panel about adding voodoo to your mixes to make everything sound better. :twisted:

i'm off.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:28 pm

TapeOpCon was a total blast. My mind is still reeling from all the information I absorbed, it was almost too much to deal with, but all good.

Highlights:
Stevwe Albini with laryngitis (I think) is still interesting to listen to.

Meeting Tim Ryan lika a day after I ordered one of his preamp kits.

Realizing that even some of the best engineers in the world have lousy mic technique :-)

Catching up with a bunch of people I hadn't seen in years, and meeting a ton of new people.

Hearing the isolated Led Zep drum tracks from Fletchers presentation in the "Let it Bleed" panel.

I could go on and on. Thanls a million times to everyone who made it possible!