Going to Nashville........Tennesse that is...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Going to Nashville........Tennesse that is...

Post by CDB Studios » Wed May 07, 2003 10:42 am

I'm going to Nashville on friday morn-sunday morn.

Those of you who have been there, or live there, have any suggestions for me to see?

-places to eat
-place to drink
-places to see great music
-places to ???

Thanks,

-Zach :jazzman: [/code]

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Going to Nashville........Tennesse that is...

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 11:28 am

The answers to all which are in front of me
The ultimate truth started to get blurry
For some strange reason it had to be
It was all a dream about Tennessee

Take me to another place
Take me to another land
Make me forget all that hurts me
Let me understand your plan

heh... good luck!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed May 07, 2003 12:32 pm

If you're a guitar fan, check out Gruhn's Guitars.

I don't live there, but I met the coolest people in some of the music clubs on Broadway.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Wed May 07, 2003 12:36 pm

Definitely go to Gruhn's Guitars. The nicest music store in the world, even when you don't have money. They were so nice to me when I crawled in ten years ago looking for a cheap used lap steel (and they sold me one super cheap) that I vowed to come back when I had real money to spend. I bought a nice old Guild acoustic there a few years ago and made the trip there from NC just to do that. The guitar didn't have a case, but the salesman rummaged around in a storeroom and came up with a great old used Guild hard case that fit great and threw it in for free. On top of being so nice, the selection of vintage guitars will blow your mind.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed May 07, 2003 12:37 pm

never been there myself...but it looks like you could ask this guy:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/profile. ... ofile&u=57

DW
audio school

Post by DW » Wed May 07, 2003 12:45 pm

tootsies is a must for the 1st time visitor.

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Wed May 07, 2003 12:46 pm

there are some pretty authentic honky-tonks and general country/western sh*tholes down on Broadway mostly right across from the arena - not to be confused with the Titans stadium which is across the river (Gruhn Gtrs is on Broadway too)...that whole downtown area is also a big tourist trap, that's where the Ryman is along with the Hard Rock Cafe, Hooters, Country Music Hall of Fame and whatnot. if you're gonna be down there, the Beer Sellar is a pretty decent place to grab some good beer, it's behind Hooters. if you check out the clubs, try 12th & Porter, Exit/In, Slow Bar, Springwater! etc...pick up the free weekly paper called the Nashville Scene and theres beaucoups of club listings - I generally don't go out that much so I can't be of much help there. but basically there's live music almost every night of the week, most of it tends to run in the singer/songwriter/solo-acoustic puke-atorium vein. if you want a really good place to eat, head over near Vanderbilt/Hillsboro/21st Ave. and check out Noshville, Boscos or Sunset Grill. but I guess it really all depends on what floats your boat or pumps yer 'nads.

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Wed May 07, 2003 1:00 pm

as far as Gruhn goes, they're a great shop and have a fairly cool laidback staff....as time has passed though I find them a little bit over-rated and generally price-y. but they do have some damn fine instruments. if anyone buys from them, make sure you check out whatever you're getting thoroughly - it's in the heart of tourist town, and every time I go in there's usually mobs of people coming in off the street yanking super nice guitars on and off the rack rather carelessly...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 1:12 pm

Even if you are not generally into tourist hell, that whole downtown strip is like another planet. My impressions the first time I went there years ago are still pretty vivid. EVERY bar and I mean EVERY bar had a live band and this was at like, 3PM, and all the bands, while not my bag, were full of **MUSICIANS** who could play. After coming out of NYC, where Ive never seen actual musicians play in bar bands here ever, it was pretty crazy. All the guitar shops are pretty cool and there are many worth trekking to, get a phone book and go nuts. the oddest thing was the natives though. Holy hell, you havent lived until you've seen that pack of southerners in square dance get up crossing the street. Truly bizarre stuff. It was the kind of place where my girlfriend at the time, who generally loathed the guitar trips, had a blast just looking at the people and the scene.

Make sure you bring a knife, you'll need one to cut through the air if you plan on walking around. TN, humidity...

dave

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed May 07, 2003 1:36 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:never been there myself...but it looks like you could ask this guy:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/profile. ... ofile&u=57
Heh....not sure I've heard of that town/suburb.

heylow

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Wed May 07, 2003 4:35 pm

i live in nashville. feel free to email me and i can guide you to some places. also i work at good bar called the mercy lounge. feel free to swing by the tel. #615- 251-3020 www.mercylounge.com . also if you are not vegetarian get some meat and 3 from arnolds. and definitely go downtown to see some honky tonk. if you are the indie rocker type you want to check out the slow bar or the mercy lounge, or the springwater. good luck.

kerry

themightyrime@hotmail.com
its on like donkey kong!!!!

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed May 07, 2003 4:57 pm

FWIW, the strip clubs are "pink". Could go either way. . .

DeluxeReverb
audio school

Post by DeluxeReverb » Wed May 07, 2003 6:05 pm

All of the clubs mentioned are great.

For food, try Noshville for brerakfast, or Pancake Pantry.

La Hacienda is great Mexican food on Nolensville Drive.

Chinese food at The Golden Coast on West End. Thai at Salathai on West End. Indian at The Sitar off West End. Mellow Mushroom on Broadway or Samboni's on Lower Broadway.

Good food and brewery at Blackstone. Steaks at Logans or Longhorn.

Broadway Music(at the Broadway/West End split) is a cool used/consignment store...I have bought lots of gear there.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is well worth a visit. It's brand new and has amazing exhibits, no matter if you are a fan of Country.

Tom
Strange Magic Studio
Nashville, TN