Quiet Air Conditioner for Summer Recording

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
angopop
pluggin' in mics

Quiet Air Conditioner for Summer Recording

Post by angopop » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:39 pm

Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep cool while keeping quiet in those home studios in the summertime. During the dog days, I haven't done much in my home studio because my air conditioners make too much noise while I'm recording, and it can be hard to mix too.

I don't really want to spend the $$s on professional a/c unit, might as well wait till I own a studio for that, no?

Does anyone have any suggestion regarding quiet air conditioning units, noise insulation or a bucket of ice under a real quiet fan?

Thanks,
Arthur

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Re: Quiet Air Conditioner for Summer Recording

Post by jrsgodfrey » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:58 pm

I'm sure this is against all AC manufacturers suggestions (and quite possibly dangerous), but we used to tape a big flexible duct to the front of a regular room air conditioner and put the unit in a window in another room, or freestanding in a garage or outside. Then a heavy curtain hung from a door frame or in a window with the flex duct poking through. Worked better than nothing and better than you might think.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:57 pm

or run your regular air cond at full blast for a while before sesions and then turn it on durring breaks..etc..

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:54 pm

Speaking of A/C... What about those non window or wall mount A/Cs? I believe they're just stand-alone for small rooms? I've never really looked into them, but I think maybe they're water-evaporation based? You know, just something to switch-on between takes. Would it cause too much humidity in a room with no air circulation except for when the door is open between takes? If so, what about in a room with a noise-less exhaust fan?

Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:14 pm

Short of the real deal there is no ac unit that I have found is quiet enough to use in the same room while recording.But don't despair... It's totally Ok to run ducting from a unit elsewhere: I did it for years.You can get an adapter fabricated at any tin shop.

A couple of things to remember:

Increased size of ducting = slower air flow=quieter.
You don't want to blast air into your recording space at the velocity of a hair dryer... Mics will hear it.

Sound does not like to travel around corners.
Try to put as many corners or curves in your duct as possible

Good luck
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:29 pm

Well it's not exactly an AC but it is alot cheaper and works pretty well (and no noise). I used to use 'em when I lived in Tucson.
http://www.fitter1.com/hc.html

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:57 pm

The stand-alone cooler units R.E. is referring to are evaporative coolers. They call 'em swamp coolers here in Denver, and they work reasonably well here where the humidity is low, but I don't think they will work well anywhere other than near-desert humidity levels. They don't cool very quickly, either, and still make enough noise you'd probably want 'em off for a take. How 'bout low speed ceiling fans?

Frank

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:33 pm

Hey
The good Sharp units have 2 motors that cancel each other out a bit..
they seem to be pretty quiet as far as window units go

Adam

ciminosound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ciminosound » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:03 am

I second Oliver's points. Mine is a basement studio where I built room within a room type construction. I found an AC unit that was small enough to fit in the basement window and used duct work for distro. About three feet before the exit I increased the duct size by 2. It works like a charm for me.

It works well for all the rooms with the exception of the control room. If there are four or five people in there it gets a little warm but not too bad. I'm going to put a small fan out on the exhaust to help draw the air through. It should be the little boost I need.

knmy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by knmy » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:40 am

Has anyone tried the ductless mini-split systems? A little on the pricey side but looks great and cool.

Here's a link descrbing it and brands to buy.
http://www.atrendyhome.com/hitminsplita.html
http://airconditioner.com/MANUFACTURERS ... splits.htm

Later,
Ken
Your bass sounds like a wet noodle.....

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:10 pm

Off the cheap-air topic, I'm looking at both a high-velocity mini-duct central air system, or a mini-split system for my house and garage studio right now. I'd be interested to hear any experiences.