NYC TapeOp Peluso Mic Shootout

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Jan Folkson
pluggin' in mics

Re: NYC TapeOp Peluso Mic Shootout

Post by Jan Folkson » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:15 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I will be in a session. Too bad.
Have we decided on a date and time yet...

Steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Steve » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:51 pm

I have a E47 in brooklyn i have it hooked up to my new setup, its way hot

Jan Folkson
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jan Folkson » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:56 am

**Bump**

Is this thing going to happen?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:05 am

I had time before but Im tied up for like the next three weeks pretty much.

dave

raydsr
audio school graduate

Post by raydsr » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:27 pm

I'd love to attend this if it can happen.

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:09 pm

What has become of this idea???
I'm totally up for it!!

I'm in Brooklyn and have a Peluso 22 251 on hand - just got it today - I am thinking of dealing for them and would love to bring this over somewhere local for a nice shoot-out / comparison - slash TapeOp hob knobbery. :wink:

I have barely used the Peluso as I just got it today. The recording environment I was working in was pretty noisy so I can't give it my official seel yet. Room acoustics aside - it has been stellar so far - top notch on vocals, very sweet on drum overheads too. Eager to test it out more. The multiple patterns are super useful.

So far (from my limited experience w/ the mic) I can deduce that it is very lush and round - not edgy at all - it (bare with me) sounds like it captures the general transients of the source signal with just the right recipe of slew - making the recording very realistic but at the same time somehow sneaking in that special amount of tender saturation (an awesome feat in the world of mics imo). Damn, I did my best wording that there and it still basically amounts to piddly :crazy: - Moving on.....

I did some mock YES vocals; overdubbing falsetto harmonies . Although my voice was not even a 1/4 as good as Jon Anderson's, I have to say the recording came out tonally stunning and pleasantly close to that old classic prog vocal sound which I so often dream of recreating. I went straight into an RME multiface at 24bit/44khz; the 22 251 agreed with my Sebatron preamp.

Disclaimer: I have never worked with a real 251 and probably never will - I am less concerned with how good of an emulation it is and more with how well it preforms in and of itself.

I am definitely up to join a proper testing session along with the rest of you interested members!!!!!

I'll check back here tomorrow to see if this breathed any life back into this thread. If you have any off board planning going on please email me: Dan@Watts-Up-Pro-Audio.com

Cheers to all!
Last edited by danv1983 on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
Daniel Valencia
www.Watts-Up-Pro-Audio.com

record
gettin' sounds

Post by record » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:02 pm

Dan, I'd love to just hear about how it compares to your other mics.

I'm looking at getting one too.

Mark

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Sun May 02, 2004 9:33 am

jan's studio is in the same place i work (sound on sound) so, if you guys can wait til next weekend (5/8-9) at the earliest (i'll be outta town this week), i'd love to participate too...
jan-aren't you working like a fool this week?
:mrpink: hillary

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sun May 02, 2004 1:36 pm

I'd definitely would be interested in being there for the shoot out also - although I'm not in the mic market now it'd still be educational and I'd think it'd be a cool opportunity to put some faces to names I've been reading for a while now!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Jan Folkson
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jan Folkson » Sun May 02, 2004 2:08 pm

Back when we originally started talking about this, business was a bit slower. At this point, it'll have to wait until later this month. In addition, my mic locker was full of my friends vintage mics for comparison purposes. I'll have to see what I can dig up to make it interesting.

But I'm certainly still into giving it a go.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed May 05, 2004 3:47 pm

Drop me a PM if a NYC Tapeopper gathering happens, mic shootout or not. I met a couple of you at AES, but it'd be fun to meet some more.

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Fri May 21, 2004 1:51 am

bump
------------------
Daniel Valencia

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:18 am

Hey gals n guys...

I think I should have something set up very soon...
Still ironing out some bumps...

Email me if you want to come to the shootout and also make sure to mention if you have a 47 or 47 clone you could bring along.

dan@watts-up-pro-audio.com

Looking forward to it.

Peace!
------------------
Daniel Valencia

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:59 am

soundguy wrote:I dont care if its real. Its like those redstripes- do they sound like La2a's? Who gives a shit. I bet they sound cool and I bet you can use them and I bet they might sound better than a lot of other stuff. Before all this classic gear had a reputation, it was just a box that sounded cool that people were able to use and get good results out of. If people made their purchases based upon the sound these things make rather than the fantasized reputation that they have, we'd be living in a different world. Shit, can you figure any reason why somoene would pay the same dough for an 1176 with a differential front end as they would for an 1176 with a transformer front end?

Its a new mic, its just not realistic for it to automatically inherit the reputation of another mic built by another company which uses COMPLETELY different parts, yet there are those that will call it garbage because it doesnt live up to that reputation regardless of what the manufacturer is comparing it to. And the double standard that that logic has is ridiculous, soundelux and lawson make their 47 versions and their designs use different tubes from each other and from the original U47. Its just another furry sounding tube mic, one cost $1k, one cost $2k, one cost $4k, one cost $8k. I mean, who is the super genius to get all heady about the $1k mic not sounding like the $8K mic. Yeah? Really? Whoah.

I talked to peluso on the phone the other day, he mentioned that both the capsule and amplifier are rated for 140 dB. If that is accurate, thats pretty good. As I mentioned, I dont have a lot of experience with old 47's but I think Id be suprised if a mic that old could handle that kind of level and for a mic worth that amount of dough, as an owner/user, Id hesitate before throwing it in front of a v4 cab...

c12a's are cool if you need that 414 idea but want a cool sound.

dave

:zzz:

Al

danv1983
studio intern

Post by danv1983 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:02 pm

Man, Snakefinger is one of my favorites!!!!
You RULE! 8)
------------------
Daniel Valencia