Stephen Malkmus

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Stephen Malkmus

Post by wing » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:53 pm

i know, but you sounded as if you contradicted yourself, as you say "i really wish i could get into pavement", yet you say you admire that recording from a production perspective. you seemed to say the exact same things about jet, that you admired their record from a production perspective, not so much the music. yet you seem to be really into them in this respect...?

nevermind if i don't make sense, i'm not trying to argue in any event...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:03 pm

for the clarification of jon:

I dont like anything about pavement- I dont get the songs and I dont care for the playing, I just dont get it. Im completely uninterested in debating this, I like what I like, Im not telling anyone not to like pavement. They have an awesome sounding record though, which I like to listen to, its mixed REALLY well. Its recorded REALLY well. It sounds awesome.

As for Jet, they have an awesome sounding record. I can really get into the way they played the songs. The record is a worthless showcase of cover songs.

Id go to see Jet just out of curiosity to see if they can rock like that for real or if pocket computer gave the impression that they could rock. I have no regrets about never seeing pavement. Its just not my thing. Hopefully, that is still allowed.

dave

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:15 pm

ok, thanks for clarifying! i was under the impression you had the same feelings towards jet's music/playing as well.

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:08 am

Well, for what it's worth, it seems the things you don't like about Malkmus/Pavement are exactly what he/they were going for, and what makes the music unique. It sounds like you didn't like the whole nonchalant-ness when SM opened for Radiohead, and that's kind of his thing. So in that sense, he's at least succeeded in communicating his vision
You see, I like nonchalant-ness. Hell, I'm a big Afghan Wigs fan and sometimes that guys voice is downright painful and the guitar playing ridiculous. I like stuff that is strange, convoluted, and down right annoying. Xiu Xiu, Blonde Redhead, in places all these artist do stuff that just sounds thrown together. I was basically saying him opening for Radiohead was just odd and out of place. There are a long list of other bands that would have been more appropriate. He is not successfully communicating anything to me, vision or otherwise. That last statement you said kind of strikes me as strange, like I'm missing out on something. I completely understand what he's shooting for, I just don't like it.

Even after trying, and taking peoples suggestions.
Nerp!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:23 am

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that while terror twilight sounds excellent, i really believe godrich killed pavement. i've read that the dude dragged them halfway around the world trying to make that record and it shows, just totally overworked and weary sounding. how can you go from brighten the corners, one of my fave albums of all time, and then turn around and spit out the worthlessness that is terror twilight? i'll tell you how: hire the wrong producer.

if i taught a class on music production, this would be lesson #1. let the band be the band and don't get in the way. just record them!

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:54 am

I disagree that Godrich killed Pavement. Malkmus had been hinting at the breakup since Crooked Rain. The key thing with Pavement albums is that they all take a huge leap from the previous album. That's what I love about their albums.

One thing to note is that Terror Twilight is essentially Malkmus' first solo album - He wrote all of the material- and the album is the first to not have any Spiral Stairs material. I think the album is heady and beautiful. One of my favorites alongside Wowee Zowee.

Although I like Malkmus' new material, it doesn't have the balls that the Pavement stuff had. It's just kind of cute or clever.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:07 pm

it's definitely possible that the breakup was imminent, i don't know a lot about them besides their music, but he hinted at dissatisfaction in the TO interview and spoke at length about godrich dragging them around the globe. couldn't have helped matters.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."