help understanding balanced and unbalanced inputs

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bellulah
gettin' sounds

help understanding balanced and unbalanced inputs

Post by bellulah » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:57 am

i'm getting my hands on one of these RNC compressors i hear about, and i read that its all unbalanced inputs/outputs.

soooo... if its TRS does that automatically mean unbalanced? or do i have somethign backwards? if my effects loops options on my mixing board (a behringer 2442-pro) are all TRS, are they unblanced as well?

i'm all paranoid about blowing something up. its not like if i break my phone i just go and drop $25 to get a new one. there's real money at stake!! all of this is getting fed into an alesis lx-20 ADAT too, just so the whole picture is there.

any help understanding all this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: help understanding balanced and unbalanced inputs

Post by kcrusher » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:24 am

TRS is a balanced connector - it stands for Tip/Ring/Sleeve. The tip carries the 'positive' signal, the ring a polarity flipped version of the signal the the sleeve carries the shield. If you plug a TRS cable into a TS input, it will still work, as the Tip is still carrying the positive signal. The opposite is true - plugging a TS cable into a TRS input - will give you a signal, but that signal will be 6db less than it would be if you were using a balanced TRS cable.

For balanced connections to work properly, they must be balanced at both ends - otherwise their is a gain loss during transmission.

You won't blow anything up - so don't sweat it.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

ToddP
audio school graduate

Post by ToddP » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:21 am

The RNC uses TRS connectors differently. It is NOT balanced. Tip is "input" Ring is "output" (or the opposite. I can't remember) It is designed so you can use one TRS cable to connect to the channel insert of a small mixer, which are set up the same way. If your mixer or soundcard does not have that, you need to get a "Y" insert cable.
Cheers

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:56 am

To add to the above, any three conductor cable can carry a balanced or two unbalanced signals. A two-conductor cable, by definition, CANNOT carry a balanced signal.

Grab an "insert" cable from Guitar Mart and you'll be fine.

(IIRC, generally speaking (check the RNC manual), the ring is usually the return.)
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:26 pm

Avoid base Hosa cables in the orange package. They're cheap but they're crummy and some places that's all they sell. I have one of these inserts and it needs replacing --- one of the mono/TS ends is dead. Even when it worked I could tell the difference between it and a better cable.

cassembler wrote: Grab an "insert" cable from Guitar Mart and you'll be fine.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:17 pm

they do have converters from un to bal and back that would correct your equipment matings..theres about 12db of gain loss from a bal to unbal connection..

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:29 pm

sonichue wrote:Avoid base Hosa cables in the orange package. They're cheap but they're crummy and some places that's all they sell. I have one of these inserts and it needs replacing --- one of the mono/TS ends is dead. Even when it worked I could tell the difference between it and a better cable.

cassembler wrote: Grab an "insert" cable from Guitar Mart and you'll be fine.
I work at a music store where we carry Hosa stuff exclusively. The consumer level stuff "Orange package" can be iffy. They have a "Pro" line as well. But the stuff you really want is their Zaolla line. Solid silver center conductors with copper windings and braid, but it can be pricey ex. a 3 foot XLR cable retails for $60.00, 5 ft. $75. Needless to say I get everything for cost, hahahahahaha!!!!!! Seriously though, if anybody wants to order their stuff for considerably less than retail (35%-40% off for most stuff) drop an email to musrepsup@aol.com attn: John. Check out Zaolla's site for product info. www.zaolla.com
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini