The Creatures released a new album?!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

The Creatures released a new album?!

Post by wing » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:44 pm

I didn't know this, but just a few months ago, The Creatures (siouxsie/budgie) released a new album named "Hai!". as always and expected, it has hugely awesome sounding tribal style drumming. man, i've always loved the huge thick drum sounds on Creatures/Siouxsie & the Banshees albums. This is lovely! though not my favorite of their work, i'm definitely not let down.

listen to "around the world"... that song is awesome! it instantly starts with crazy big sounding toms/tribal drums (perhaps taiko?) and marimbas (i think). and great singing as always. mmmm.

anyone have any insight on their technique, while we're at it? i've been told it's a lot of close mic'ing in a big room, hitting pres/tape hard, and thick reverb.

any other fans of this album?

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Re: The Creatures released a new album?!

Post by cyrusjulian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I remember reading somewhere that they despised working with computers on Superstition so I'm assuming that they are still big fans of tape. Have you seen em live also? Fucking amazing.. You can really see the interaction between Siouxsie and Budgie. Budgie's just a brilliant drummer and the melodies Siouxsie comes up with are unreal.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:21 pm

just thought i'd post this nice photo of siouxsie... i love it. nice mic too!

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:32 pm

What a goddess... Did you know Rob Smith played with em in the early 80's too? Damn, I would've loved to have been at that show..

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:11 pm

Robert Smith played with them in '85 if I recall. Around the time of Tinderbox, and the "Cities in Dust" single. We opened for the Creatures in 1990. They were pretty amazing. Budgie is a very underrated drummer/percussionist.

Roger

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:40 pm

I've got some great naked pictures of Siouxsie.

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Verboten
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Verboten » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:58 pm

'Cuz I'm a Siouxsie/ Cure freak:

Robert Smith played w/ Siouxsie in '79 (briefly) and again in '83-'84. While the Cure was recording the Top - the Banshees were working on Hyaena and the supporting tour which yielded the Banshees' live album Nocturne. Also, shortly before - Smith and Severin (from the Banshees) did the Glove album Blue Sunshine.

One of the bands I play in opened for the Creatures back in 2000 - shortly after they "re-formed". I spent an entire afternoon watching Budgie soundcheck... that guy can play some drums! Oh, and Siouxsie looked great ;-)

Unfortunately, I saw the Banshees' reunion tour in 2002 (I think?) and it blew. Not great, at all.

Sorry, I'm a geek and no, I can't help w/ any recording techniques, so... I'll shut up now and go listen to Hyaena.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:11 pm

chocolatechickenpotpie wrote:I've got some great naked pictures of Siouxsie.
Are you in them too?

dave

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:46 am

Verboten wrote:'Cuz I'm a Siouxsie/ Cure freak:

Unfortunately, I saw the Banshees' reunion tour in 2002 (I think?) and it blew. Not great, at all.
Wow, you didn't like that show. I saw em too and I thought they were great. I mean, they did a lot of their earlier darker stuff (some stuff off of the Scream) I remember, but I thought they rocked.

Verboten
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Verboten » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:56 am

cyrusjulian wrote:
Verboten wrote:'Cuz I'm a Siouxsie/ Cure freak:

Wow, you didn't like that show. I saw em too and I thought they were great. I mean, they did a lot of their earlier darker stuff (some stuff off of the Scream) I remember, but I thought they rocked.
I enjoyed parts of it a lot... Siouxsie was just a little off her game in DC. The earlier stuff was great - Icons, Overground, etc... but almost all of the "hits" from Tinderbox on were horrible. She was off key - forgot lyrics - forgot where she was in songs... I mean, that's fine for the punk stuff, but for the pop stuff (which I love, too), it was just plain bad.

The band were fantastic, tho' - no problems there. Made me wanna break out my old flanger pedal!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:01 am

I lurvelurvelurve Siouxsie and Budgie!

Saw them twice in '97. Once at First Ave. in Mpls, once my band opened (waywaywayway opened - we were second they were eighth) for them in Leipzig. In addition to being a phenomenal drummer, Budgie is a durn nice guy!

Siouxsie is an awesome singer. I kinda wish she'd update her stage moves. They don't become her as well now as they did when she was younger.

Still great show both times. They're soooo coool.

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:22 am

My wife is a HUGE SatB / Creatures fan; I think I've been to something like 4 Creatures shows since we've been together... which is every one that's been in the area. And of course the reunion show.

I remember seeing The Creatues once where Budgie was playing a ~10 foot tall drum, I shit you not. And just wailing away on it. The man knows how to beat on things.

My favorite Creatures show memory was when Siouxsie pulled a ~6 year old girl on stage and had her play a synth part (one key trigger) for a song. Everybody together, AWWWWWWW....

I thought the reunion show was great; I'm with cyrusjulian. I saw them at the Warfield, and was creaming my pants at the end of Blue Jay Way. OK, yes, Siouxsie did look a little tired, but that *edit* DIDN'T *edit* bring the show down.

Can't wait to hear Hai. Not sure why I haven't picked it up yet.
Last edited by object88 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:41 am

object88 wrote:
I thought the reunion show was great; I'm with cyrusjulian. I saw them at the Warfield, and was creaming my pants at the end of Blue Jay Way. OK, yes, Siouxsie did look a little tired, but that bring the show down.
Hey, that's where I saw em also! At the Warfield. Yeah, I really dug that show. I guess they must've been off when they played that other DC show.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:19 am

just listened to this album again about half a year later... again i say "wow" and highly suggest it! this rules!

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:27 am

I saw the Hyena tour at Irving Plaza in NYC. Robert didn't finish that leg of the tour because he had collapsed of exhaustion.

That show was amazing....I was literally standing on stage left, right in front of the stacks (smart, eh?). I'll never forget Budgie's bass drum in "Israel". The highlight of that show was Arabian Nights.