Fender late '70's Precision Basses

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Gregorio Cortez
ass engineer

Fender late '70's Precision Basses

Post by Gregorio Cortez » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:15 am

Does anyone no if the pick up bridge covers came standard on all 1978/79 precision basses? I'm looking to get one from that period and would prefer it to be all original. Thanks.
Cortez

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: Fender late '70's Precision Basses

Post by Al » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:06 am

Hi there, i'm a Fender bass nut! The story is thus, the seventies ones come with bridge cover/pickup, except you'll find most people take them off, and end up loosing them, they look nice cosmeticly but can be annoying when your playing, much like the ones on the Rik basses.

I've had a couple of seventies models and they do vary in weight and sound, i had an Antigua coloured one there fairly rare, i think that was a 78,
It sounded nice but weighed an absolute ton, on the other hand some of the 77 period ones were lighter and more akin to the 60's ones, these are lovely guitars if you can find one in good nik, you can get replacement guards from Fender if you really want them, cant see them being cheap though!

I have a 64 P bass now with the Kluson keys, all original, i luv it, i was going to invest in some for mine cause i want the bridge end dampened with that little peice of foam they stick under the guard, and some flat wound strings on for these Macca tones!...happy hunting, hope you find a good one..

Al

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Re: Fender late '70's Precision Basses

Post by Derrick » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:37 am

Hi, Fender's guitars of the 70s were all over the place with regard to quality and playability characteristics like goog sounding pickups, wood, weight, sound, etc. You can have two same year identical guitars and one may play/sound like crap, the other a jem. With this in mind, you will be better educated to find the Fender that suits your needs. P-basses rule! Happy hunting :)
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.