Name Dropping thread

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JASIII
george martin

Name Dropping thread

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:18 pm

Here's a thread where you can name drop like we all want to do, but won't admit it. Who have you worked with, met in a restaurant, talked with on the phone, jammed with, parked their car in the valet lot, cleaned their hotel room, etc. PLEASE don't anyone take this too seriously, it's supposed to be funny. Keep them true, though.

Here's my lame example:
Dave Sardy's cousin is an ex of mine.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Re: Name Dropping thread

Post by supafuzz » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:22 pm

stood on line with chris robinson at the local gourmet deli last year
It appears that he and wife were living a block away...

Bob Villa came to one of my gigs..
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:25 pm

I was in the Atlanta airport a couple of months ago. Henry Winkler came down the corridor looking around like he was trying to get anyone to pay attention to him. Hardly anyone did. Sad.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:27 pm

hmm... the only one i have is i met d'arcy's (of smashing pumpkins) husband. nice guy.

also met a lot of random drummers, as well as john bonham's son.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:29 pm

Slatybadfast is designing me a new coastline

just hung out with Jacko, Culkin, and Taylor at he ranch for a day..well no, but its my dream, really!

I hope nobody gets assassinated due to this thread..

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:31 pm

guitarwhore wrote: Bob Villa came to one of my gigs..
Bob Vila? Funny you should mention him...I used to record and mix all the Sears Craftsman radio and TV he did. The guy was in my studio quite a few times. Mom told me if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:33 pm

I saw Jim Morrison pumping gas in Tokyo. He was cracking up that nobody believed it was him.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:36 pm

Back in 1990 before I had set foot in a professional recording studio, I was working as a clerk at a video store in Studio City, CA. This guy had come in that looked like one of the wandering homeless. He was in the store for about 2 hours. Actually laid on the floor in the documentary section looking at the tapes on the bottom for about 15 minutes. He came up to the counter with 7 tapes in his hands and said in a very high, light voice, "I'd like to sign up for an account." He had a hat, unkempt long hair, sunglasses and looked to be in some sort of disguise. I told him he needed a drivers license and credit to sign up and that there was a 2 tape limit for a first time rental. He produced a corporate AMEX card and his license and I looked at the name, the picture then looked back at the customer and saw his nose. Sort of looked like it was melting...IT WAS MICHAEL JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I should have known immediately from hearing his voice. Needless to say, we allowed him rent al 7 films. One was a Nazi documentary that I am sure leant itself as research for that video in 90 or 91 he did where he was that large, huge militaristic icon. Anyway, he never came back in the store and never returned the videos. They were charged through on his credit card. I didn't think to look at what kind of car he got when he left. He was one of many famous people to come in that store though.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:40 pm

joeysimms wrote:I saw Jim Morrison pumping gas in Tokyo. He was cracking up that nobody believed it was him.
what were you up to in tokyo? did you used to live there?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:40 pm

I asked chris robinson's most incredible wife out on a date while he was off ordering food at a gourmet deli in Harley's old hood.

I should hang out on the west side more often.

On the WEST west side tip, one time I was driving around LA and I saw _________ ! (fill in just about any 'ol famous person there)

dave

t3r
pluggin' in mics

Post by t3r » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:41 pm

I was in Gruhn Guitars in Nashville & they just opened up & Im checking out some guitars & this guy is playing behind me bumps me & apologizes & I turn around to say no problem & its Eric Clapton!! So I sit there and get to hear him play for about an hour & He & I are the only ones in the store & He was very nice & took some pics and signed the guitar I just bought.(He is much shorter than you would imagine)(as Im sure most people wonder how tall Eric Clapton is) :shock: :shock:

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:42 pm

We had a gig in a hotel in Springfield, IL and a WWF wrestler and his entourage showed up. I don't know who he was, something like "The Meatinator" or something. They stayed for both sets.

I was having breakfast at the Diner Grill on Irving Park in Chicago, and this guy next to me had the greatest voice. I was thinking "Boy, he sounds familiar, kinda like Ken Nordine." My food comes, and I ask him for the hot sauce and he, the woman he is with, and the cook all reach for it at the same time. He said "Hands, hands, everywhere, hands!" He picks it up and hands it to me and I almost forget to take it from him. My chin must have been on the floor. I told him I really liked his work, and he said "That's always nice to hear, thank you."
not to worry, just keep tracking....

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:43 pm

Met John Speedle from The Grocks, Mel Quid from Bongle Void and Twin Caxton of 'Blundering Slut' fame. Oh and I saw Billy Feech in Uttoxeter Woolworths - DUDE!!

When I was famous myself I met all sorts - like Diggy Qweeg from Gilbert and the Random Ponces. Also Vlad Boil. Anyone remember Lezbo Dundass from Bastardo?? Yeah? Well - I snogged her once or twice. Tongues. Then there was...oh now I'm just bragging.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Fucking Vlad Boil! That's awesome. Good old Vlad..

wing - I never lived in Tokyo, but I play one on tv!

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm

Saw Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top on a streetcar trolley in New Orleans...he was traveling semi-incognito, beard tucked up underneath with bobby pins. He gets on at the stop that's like a block from the levee, I casually asked him what he was up to, and he smiles and says "I was looking at the river."

Practically bumped into Brooke Shields on the street in NYC (wasn't looking where I was going)

Sold Eric Clapton a trad jazz CD when I worked at Virgin Megastore

A friend of mine went on a date with David Letterman, she said it was weird

My favorite: saw John Gilmore, saxophonist for the Sun Ra Arkestra, buying oranges in a deli in Greenwich Village.